1st gen/323/GLC Engine and Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1990-1994 Models (BG chassis) and 1981-1989 GLC/323 Models (BD and BF chassis)

Stronger Spark

Old June-25th-2002, 12:25 AM
Protege Owner

protejay is on a distinguished road
Smile Stronger Spark

Alright i thought i'd bring up something fun

When i got my car dynoed a while back, we did 3 dyno runs: stock, after Pacesetter, AND after Direct Hits.....
Direct Hits is an ignition 'upgrade' (like the Nology HotWires) that uses a capacitor mounted on each spark plug to release a stonger spark. Instead of a 'long, weak' spark; it releases a 'short, strong' spark. They claim it chemically advances the ignition by "reducing overall burn time"....
Results on the dyno...lost power from 2200rpm to 3100rpm; gained *small* amount at 5200rpm and 6000rpm....This dyno WAS RIGHT AFTER installing the Direct Hits; in other words, the ECU had NOT had time to adjust to the new ignition.....
and that's required by the company as part of the install - the ECU HAS to be reset.

After this i went and got my car smogged....the ONLY HIGH measurement was NO(Nitrous Oxides) - 876ppm; average for the test is 206ppm. From what i understand, high NO's is evidence of high combustion temperatures. BTY, the Direct Hits come with NON-resistor spark plugs that are 1-2 heat ranges cooler than OEM.

Here's what i was thinking....you could advance the ignition for FREE by moving the distributor and thus no need to spend the $$$ on this.
But....if this kind of 'system' also results in higher combustion temps....wouldn't that help out w/the exhaust? Hotter combustion would result in faster flow out the exhaust, right???
Old June-25th-2002, 01:46 AM
Protege Enthusiast

mazda disciple is on a distinguished road
more current going through the plug like 12 volts versus 24 volts I believe what they are trying to sell is that the spark from brand "a" is weaker than brand "b'" spark, in other words your car won't be running at its full potential ? just a theory. And yes there is such a thing as "cleaner spark " ei: energy just ask all of those home theater nuts. but then again we have all argued this before so let the shots be fired
Old June-25th-2002, 09:21 PM
Protege Enthusiast

mazda disciple is on a distinguished road
I didn't want to start an argument because we have all argued over this before I was just trying to give some incite as to what the manufacturer of the wires was thinking no biggy
Old June-26th-2002, 02:05 AM
Protege Owner

protejay is on a distinguished road
everything's OK... i think

...i didn't want to necessarily 'spark' (haha) anything, either....i've read most of the threads on this.

just wanted to share whut i was thunking AND what initially happened on the dyno...
Old June-27th-2002, 11:02 PM

oregano is on a distinguished road
i dunno, higher combustion temps may not mean more power. yes it would increase heat in the exhaust but also in the engine, and unlike the exhaust, the engine prolly wont like hotter temps, unless it has high octane gas. anyways, im jus guessing here so dont take me seriously. but, honestly, i dun think those things do much, unless you have a really powerfull engine and you absolutely need to make sure the engine runs perfect.