Mazda3Club.com  

Go Back   Mazda3Club.com > Suspension/Brakes/Wheels Tech and Performance > Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Welcome to Mazda3Club.com

Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 Sponsored by Tire Rack

Old August-3rd-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
3sview

3sview is an unknown quantity at this point
SenSen struts vs. Monroe, looking for opinions.

Front struts. SenSen costs $75 for the PAIR plus shipping at APX (ebay). Monroes are $94 EACH at parts store. How are the SenSen struts? Anyone like them?
3sview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August-4th-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
eggynatey
Clean-Up Crew

eggynatey is on a distinguished road
You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension parts. I'd put a set of Koni Yellows on there if I were you.

If you don't want to lower the car, then OEM is best, but out of the two you mentioned, Monroe is about a million times better than Chinese eBay junk.

Yellows:
http://www.streetunit.com/Koni_Dampe.../2100-4040.htm

KYB GR2 (OEM replacement)
http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/maz..._absorber.html

eggynatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August-13th-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
GearHead28

GearHead28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sview View Post
Front struts. SenSen costs $75 for the PAIR plus shipping at APX (ebay). Monroes are $94 EACH at parts store. How are the SenSen struts? Anyone like them?
I bought SENSEN struts from apxautoparts.com and I didn't notice any alarming quality issues. I could get the SENSEN struts with a lifetime warranty at half the price of KYB or Monroe so what the heck.
GearHead28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August-13th-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
GearHead28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggynatey View Post
You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension parts. I'd put a set of Koni Yellows on there if I were you.

If you don't want to lower the car, then OEM is best, but out of the two you mentioned, Monroe is about a million times better than Chinese eBay junk.

Yellows:
http://www.streetunit.com/Koni_Dampe.../2100-4040.htm

KYB GR2 (OEM replacement)
http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/maz..._absorber.html
Hate to burst your bubble but Monroe shocks are made in China and a dozen other developing countries.
Old August-14th-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
eggynatey
Clean-Up Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead28 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but Monroe shocks are made in China and a dozen other developing countries.
Hate to burst YOUR bubble, but Monroe was established in Michigan in 1919. Monroe Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
In 1916, August Meyer founded Brisk Blast, which was a bicycle pump manufacturer that was later expanded to produce automotive shocks in 1919 as the Monroe Auto Equipment Company. In 1977, the company merged with the international Tenneco company. Today, their world headquarters are located in Monroe Charter Township and continue to manufacture Monroe Shocks and Struts.
Congrats on saving a few bucks on the single-most important safety feature on any car...the suspension. Let us know how they're holding up in a year or so.

Old September-2nd-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
GearHead28

Just about every Monroe shock the average American would buy is made in China. They only manufacture their premium lines in the United States. You can spend more than double for a Chinese-made Monroe shock if you want....but I'm happy with my SENSENs.
Old September-5th-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
eggynatey
Clean-Up Crew

I actually spent a lot more on a set of Zeal coilovers, but I track my car a lot and got a good deal on them.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but suspension stuff is the one thing I've done my homework in. I'm sure those Sensens will work fine for daily driving around town.
We've all heard of Monroe, but who's heard of Sensen? What if one blows out? Will SenSen replace it, and if so, where do you go for the rebuild or replacement? For Monroe, you'd go to Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. Reputation and familiarity go a long way in my book.

Different people have different priorities, and it's your car. Enjoy!

Old September-5th-2010, 11:20 AM
Mazda3Club
Mazda3

Paid Advertisement

Tags
apx, gr2, kyb, mazda, mazda3, mazdaspeed, monroe, oem, review, reviews, sensen, shocks, strut, struts, suspension