Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Mazda 3 won't start

Old December-26th-2008, 03:42 PM

t-bone is an unknown quantity at this point
Mazda 3 won't start

Hi. Ihave a 2005 mazda 3 2.0L. I have a problem with it starting. somtimes it starts other times i have to wait 2-3 hours. When I go to start it all the lights come but it crank over. The starter doest make a sound. If anybody has any ides, please let me know.

Thanks
Old December-28th-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

donnie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-bone
Hi. Ihave a 2005 mazda 3 2.0L. I have a problem with it starting. somtimes it starts other times i have to wait 2-3 hours. When I go to start it all the lights come but it crank over. The starter doest make a sound. If anybody has any ides, please let me know.

Thanks
does the engine turn over? if not you might have a bad starter.
Old December-28th-2008, 08:43 PM

mazda 3 won't start

No the engine dosent turn over. I put a new starter on it.
Old December-29th-2008, 02:34 AM

icspots is on a distinguished road
Get the battery checked.
Old December-29th-2008, 05:51 AM

fc3sBerto is an unknown quantity at this point
if it's a manual transmission... make sure you have the clutch pressed ALL the way down.

my switch is kinda picky like that
Old December-29th-2008, 08:36 PM

mazda 3 wont start

Sorry ya, It's an automatic.
Old December-30th-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

donnie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-bone
Sorry ya, It's an automatic.
did you check all the fuses? in the florboard and under the hood
Old January-3rd-2009, 02:47 PM

pbuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Mazda 3 Won't Start

I had the same problem with my 2006 Mazda 3. There is a service bulletin for it listed somewhere on this forum but I can't find it right now. It is an intermittent problem right? If you let it sit for a while then try it again it starts and runs lke there was never a problem right? I printed the bulletin, and tried to show the Mazda service guys near me (Peterborough, Ontario, Canada) and they told me that it wasn't a known problem and the bulletin wasn't Canadian. The service guys in Brampton (where I work) were very quick to recognise the problem and fix me up. Great guys!

The small wire at the the starter has corroded out, and needs to be replaced. I will have another look around here and find the service bulletin for you.

FOUND IT!!

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...7-08-1960a.pdf

Last edited by pbuck; January-3rd-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Found Link to Bulletin
Old July-13th-2009, 01:44 PM

szwedsnowflake*77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have a 2006 Mazda 3 and I've been having the exact same problem. It's like it starts when it wants to and other times it just won't turn over. All the lights and the radio come on but it just won't start. The guys at the dealership told me that there's nothing they can do because every time I bring it in (2 times already) it starts !!!! Thank-you so much for posting the service bulletin. I'm bringing my car in tomorrow and I printed a copy of the bulletin to give to them so that they can fix it...can't believe that they weren't aware of this? Only problem, my warranty expired a few weeks ago. They should honour it since they weren't able to figure it out sooner. Thanks again )
Old February-6th-2010, 02:00 PM

cowboyjunky is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem with my '05 last summer. Corroded wire. It was replaced and no problems until this week, when the same problem reappeared. So the repair corrected the problem, but only for 8 months. Very annoying problem for an otherwise solid car.
Old March-11th-2010, 10:19 AM

jam772 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having the same starting issue with my '06 MAzda 3.

Hi everyone,

My car is currently in the shop for this very issue. My mechanic, being as persistent as he is, found what the Mazda service bulletin had said to be true without even seeing the bulletin.

Were any of you able to get this fixed for free by Mazda? My mechanic didn't do the same exact fix as what the bulletin said but did so something to try and deal with it and still the car failed me yesterday and today.

Thanks!

-Jim
Old March-11th-2010, 11:32 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
for an automatic... it should start in neutral or park - try neutral, if that works it's the neutral safety switch.
Also, if you hold the key, see if the security light on the dash flashes - if so there's a problem with the car reading the key RFID. In which case you can try a second key for your car.
Old March-11th-2010, 12:47 PM

jam772 is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is a manual. My mechanic called and said the wire going to the starter is corroded for about 3 inches of the wire starting with part that connects to the starter. So they have to use the replacement/repair kit that Mazda has made available. The kicker is that it can't be delivered to my mechanic until tomorrow afternoon.

Thank goodness for telecommuting :-)
Old March-12th-2010, 12:28 AM

cowboyjunky is an unknown quantity at this point
My dealer did the repair described in the service bulletin, but not for free since the warranty had expired. It was about $150.
Old March-17th-2010, 11:49 AM

leeleblanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Originally Posted by pbuck
I had the same problem with my 2006 Mazda 3. ...The small wire at the the starter has corroded out, and needs to be replaced. I will have another look around here and find the service bulletin for you. FOUND IT!!...
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...7-08-1960a.pdf
If this fixes my problem, I'll send you a gift card for a case of your favorite beer!

Here's where I'm at. After a few days of wildly intermittent starts, I figured something was up. Next stop, local auto shop. Of course now it starts every time for the shop. I'm. sitting at home kinda annoyed. So I start JFGI. Within a few search results I find this post. And thankfully the pdf download was still active!

Status: sent email to auto shop w/ pdf attachment; awaiting assessment of where they are at with the problem.
03/17/2010, 12:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda 3 won't start