Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Stock Tires/Performance Tires - Thoughts and Comments

Search this Thread

Old May-2nd-2005, 11:29 AM

Hitman Hart is on a distinguished road
Stock Tires/Performance Tires - Thoughts and Comments

I was wondering what everyone thinks of the stock tires the 3 comes with (Goodyear Eagle RS).

Personally, I've been relatively happy. Never driven with them in the snow because I have winter tires. I do feel however that the stock tires can be quieter. I'm thinking that when the time comes to change tires, I'll get some better, performance tires.

Any suggestions for better tires than the stock ones, that are similarily priced (or not much more expensive) than the stock ones?
Old May-2nd-2005, 12:16 PM

miles is on a distinguished road
You can get kuhmos for half the price and they are rated for better performance in all weather conditions. The goodyears are a complete rip off at 190 a piece and they are horrible in the rain.
Old May-2nd-2005, 04:26 PM

TomH is on a distinguished road
Miles is absolutely right. The Kumho ASXs are a much better tire for about half what they want for these crummy RS-As. I plan on getting a set after I wear the Goodyears out.
Old May-3rd-2005, 11:14 AM

I've read about what you've said about the Goodyear's with other reviews. I'll research the Kumho's. Any other brands you think would be worth it?
Old May-3rd-2005, 01:38 PM

NOrrTH is on a distinguished road
They completely and utterly suck in the snow. I've had summer tires that faired better and no, I'm not exagerating.
Old May-3rd-2005, 02:40 PM

I bought snow tires this year - I would say it's a must where I live. And you know, the Goodyear Eagle's aren't cheap either - especially considering it's quality based on what you guys have been saying.

Looks like when the time comes to change them, I'll look into Kumho's or something else. What about the BF Goodrich performance ones? The name escapes me right now.
Old May-3rd-2005, 08:13 PM

TomH is on a distinguished road
While BFG makes a good tire, they have nothing in a stock 3 size with a true all-season tread design like the Kumhos offer. This will make the BFGs no better than the stock RS-As in incliment weather. Summer performance should be improved, however.
Old May-3rd-2005, 08:47 PM

alex_aha is on a distinguished road
i use yokohama avid t4's on my pro... i get them from tirerack from only $72
Old May-4th-2005, 01:56 PM

spencerhut is on a distinguished road
I just put on some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I couldn't be happier. They stick like glue and blow through water like it's not even there. I got 40k out of my Goodyears and everything I've read says the Michelins should last even longer. Stickier and longer lasting, couldn't pass it up.
Old May-9th-2005, 09:43 PM
P.A.C.T / P.A.APC Member

rodslinger is on a distinguished road
The Goodyears suck...

I've never been more disappointed with a set of tires with the lone exception of BFGoodrich Euro TA's...

This is the first time in 12 years I have left a set of OEM tires on a car when I bought it. I'll usually drive from the dealer straight to my local Bridgestone/Firestone dealer to have the OEM tires traded in on some decent rubber. This time I decided to give the Eagle RS a try. The last set of Goodyear tires I had were back in 1988 when you could get the "Gatorbacks" and I liked them. I figured these should be OK. I was wrong. These things don't hold air, vibrate, shake, shimmy and generally handle like ***. The local Goodyear store has replaced two already due to force imbalance problems and a third feels like it is starting to come apart. They will be getting replaced soon with a decent set of Potenza's.....
Old May-10th-2005, 01:29 AM
M3

M3 is on a distinguished road
well i have now some falken tire and they were like 78 bucks each
Old May-12th-2005, 12:59 PM

BadAzLava3 is on a distinguished road
FWIW

Goodyear Eagle RS-A's are the OE tire on the BMW 330i too.

They are still after all pretty much a dry, summer tire, despite what it may say on the sidewall.

They suck in the wet, cold and cost way too much for what they are.

I replaced mine with Kumho MX's at 1,500 miles and never looked back.
Quieter, stickier etc.

The Falkens are also superior in almost every way.
Old May-12th-2005, 02:54 PM
M3

M3 is on a distinguished road
ohh cool, but tell that to my dad he said that goodyears are the best tires in the world hey but betwen the falkens and the kumho wich one is better.

EDIT: MY 200 POST yuhhooo!!!!!
Old June-1st-2005, 11:59 AM

tommysgirl is on a distinguished road
Which tires would you recommend for perfomance and tread life? I have Toyo on my 3 and after 15,500 miles the tread is almost gone! I have a tires for life program that I got when I purchased the car but I have a feeling they are going to dick me over somehow. Toyo's have been great performance for me but not so great on tread.

My husband has Komho on his '88 Mazda MX6GT. He says those are pretty good. Which I have also heard too.

What do ya'll reommend for good performance and tread life? Can someone give me some guidance about tires?
Old June-6th-2005, 11:11 AM

bbqmusic is on a distinguished road
... i found the OEM Toyo's wear fast also ... about 30,000 KM's on them and they are already showing signs of heavy wear ... gonna have to replace them before next summer ... fortunatley I have winter tires (Nokian Champiro WT-255, they stick like glue in the snow and ice) ... anyone with good recomendations for high performance summer-only rubber? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stock Tires/Performance Tires - Thoughts and Comments