3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Protege questions /spec-v

Search this Thread

Old December-6th-2002, 05:06 PM
Protege Newbie

rocketman is on a distinguished road
Question Protege questions /spec-v

Hi, I've been looking into getting a protege or a spec-v for the past 3-4 months, but have a questions for the protege. First off i'd have to say i like the stock look the the protege's more then the spec-v, but i would like to get the bosel bodykit (I heard DGM is working on it). But the major thing is power, The car i currently have has aprx 130, and from what i understand the msp is just a turbo version of the stock protege, and the only real upgrade that the msp can take is a slitly bigger turbo, so just guess it max's out around 200 give or take 10hp, the spec-v hasn't seen a limit yet. I guess my major question is how far can the engine be pushed with out swaping the motor. i would like to get a car around 160-180hp and i dont think i/h/e will put the protege around that mark. and i'll say it right now. NO i will not get a msp! so please dont ask that. And I've read that there changeing the name to mazda 3? is that why on dgm it show parts for a protege 3 and 5?.
Old December-6th-2002, 06:14 PM
2002 RX-7 Spirit 'R'

VagaBond-X is on a distinguished road
I can't remember...but i think it was something like 100 changes done to it....

major ones i can think of
-Turbo
-LSD
-Springs/Shocks (all that)(prolly counts as a few there)
-The Front and rear Strut Bars
-I forget what it was called....but something went from 22mm to 24mm...someone will prolly know
-Nice Stereo system with nice speaker package

And ALOT of other changes....
those are the main ones i can think of off my head

someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old December-6th-2002, 07:12 PM
WiCky=))

leungwingkei is on a distinguished road
The driveshaft was increased in diameter from 22mm to 24mm.
Old December-6th-2002, 07:17 PM
Protege Newbie

rocketman is on a distinguished road
Well i did say i will not get a msp, but i guess you missed that, even with all the mods that went into the msp it still hits a limit of around 200, i just want to get a direct awnser that yes. thats all the engine can handle or no, who ever told you that doesnt know anything. every car has problems its just sifting threw then and see what means more to you
Old December-6th-2002, 07:50 PM
Protege Enthusiast

sonik is on a distinguished road
Rocketman, I too have been eyeballing the spec-v. I have been a mazda guy since day one and currently own 3. The way I see it is this, if you buy a spec you will have the hp you are looking for without a turbo so there is some headroom. On the downside there have been too many problems with the specs to just simply dismiss as flukes. I frequent the b15sentra.net forums quite often and have concluded that if you buy a spec make sure your dealer is really great at service because you stand a good chance of seeing them maybe a little more than you should. Now for the pro, Mazda's quality is impeccable but there is that little issue of the pro being way underpowered. So if you want to have a screamin pro get the begi turbo and I/H/E and you should have be happy. However remember you can possibly void your warranty and will have to fight with service anytime you get your car worked on under warranty. So as you can see there are tradeoffs to both....
Old December-6th-2002, 08:44 PM
Use this to install stuff

Installshield is on a distinguished road
The FS engine could handle possibly as much as 220whp with good tuning. That was one the forum somewhere I think