1st Gen Protege/323/GLC General/Maintenance Discussion for 1990-1994 Models (BG Chassis) and 1981-1989 GLC/323 Models (BD and BF chassis)

Help! Hard to start and does not start when warm/hot

Old November-18th-2002, 02:57 PM
Protege Newbie

AndyP is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help! Hard to start and does not start when warm/hot

Hi everyone,

I hope someone else had this problem or has an idea - my 92 DOHC 103K mi cranks for a while without firing util it finally starts. But if I stop somewhere like a gas station or grocery store (5-20minutes), the car will only crank without starting. It took a couple of seconds to start before, but now that the weather is cold (if related at all) it stopped starting when the engine is warm/hot. 1/2 an hour is not enough for the problem to go away, so I walk home and start it in the morning.
I checked the main and circuit openning (fuel pump) relays, but they are fine, which are responsible for fuel before oil pressure builds up (safety precaution on most cars in case of collision). I had the fuel injectors cleaned.
Please reply if you have an idea. I have read a lot of the Haynes manual and have spent the weekend reading discussion groups, all good ideas, but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Andy
Old November-19th-2002, 07:50 PM
Protege Enthusiast

suprastylin23 is on a distinguished road
just some ideas....

coil/igniter
spark plugs and wires(might be just a little too corroded)
timing(dont some engines have a cold start injector that advances timing and spark while engine is still cold maybe your is wiggin)

anyways good luck with that and hopefully u dont have to walk too many more miles. peace.
Old November-19th-2002, 09:24 PM

atila is on a distinguished road
the ect (electronic coolant temperature) sensor to could be the problem. It's the one that tell the computer the temp of the engine. You can check with the check engine light. To retrieve the codes connect a wire between the eec sti pin and the ground pin on the diagnostic connector near the batterie. The pin are writen on the top of the connector. Put the key on and count the number of time that the check engine light flash. the code number for the ect his 9 flash of check engine. It's not easy at first to get the number right. If any other code appear just write them in our reply and i'll tell what they mean
Old November-27th-2002, 07:49 AM
Protege Newbie

scottd9 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I had the same problem about a month ago. It turns out that it was the Coolant Temperature Sensor. The car would be hard to start if it was warm/hot. The car would also be hesitant after (ie: leaving a stop sign/green light pushing accelerator. The only problem htat I have now is the Driver's side wheel bearing (sounds like a small helicopter under the hood when driving.
Old November-27th-2002, 01:29 PM
Protege Newbie

AndyP is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Solution!

Hi All,

I hope this helps someone in the future, as I have a working car again (and thank you to everyone who helped!).
It turned out that I had neither spark nor fuel injected when the car was warm. Hence the garage diagnosed it as a faulty crank shaft sensor. Unfortunately, in the '92 Mazda Protege LX it is built into the distributor, hence expensive. But it fixed my car!

Best,
Andy
Old July-8th-2010, 04:56 AM

boylovesmazda is an unknown quantity at this point
hi, how do u make a new thred?

****MAZDA3 2008 WONT START****

also my 2008 mazda 3 wont start, its a 1.6 manual petrol....it just wont turn...it wont even fire from the key....ive had electricians have a look at it but the ecu wont talk to it , it simply wont communicate....i took out the starter relay from the engine bay fusebox and connected a copper wire on each end and i could hear the engine turn...can somebody please help me.....

the key symbol inside the dash flashes once then it stops then it flashes anothet 6 times.....im assuming its giving me code 16....

the car was starting fine before it went in for repairs....and after it came back from repairs i charged the battery up and it started fine but after his day it has never started,,,,

im willing ro offer a reward...thanks....b4dat@hotmail.co.uk or 07538 58 02 78 Leeds, England UK.
Old July-8th-2010, 05:01 AM

boylovesmazda is an unknown quantity at this point
hELLO, how do u make a new thred?

also my 2008 mazda 3 wont start, its a 1.6 manual petrol....it just wont turn...it wont even fire from the key....ive had electricians have a look at it but the ecu wont talk to it , it simply wont communicate....i took out the starter relay from the engine bay fusebox and connected a copper wire on each end and i could hear the engine turn...can somebody please help me.....

the key symbol inside the dash flashes once then it stops then it flashes anothet 6 times.....im assuming its giving me code 16....

the car was starting fine before it went in for repairs....and after it came back from repairs i charged the battery up and it started fine but after his day it has never started,,,,

im willing ro offer a reward...thanks....b4dat@hotmail.co.uk or 07538 58 02 78 Leeds, England UK PLEASE HELP ME
Old December-9th-2010, 02:22 AM

sadjkwqq is an unknown quantity at this point
It turns out that it was the Coolant Temperature Sensor
Old November-15th-2011, 11:27 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
to start a thread, go to a 'main topic' like "General/Maintenance Discussion " and there's a new thread button at the top of the list.

the key blinking is the security system
if the car computer isn't talking = ignition is off or you need a new computer = $$

since this started after someone 'fixed' it, its probably their fault, and they need to repair it... what did it go in for initially?

Originally Posted by boylovesmazda
hELLO, how do u make a new thred?

im willing ro offer a reward...thanks....b4dat@hotmail.co.uk or 07538 58 02 78 Leeds, England UK PLEASE HELP ME