Mazda3Club.com  

Go Back   Mazda3Club.com > General Discussion > 3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Welcome to Mazda3Club.com

3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Old March-1st-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
tr's 5

tr's 5 is on a distinguished road
rear brake pad replacement

The fact that noone except Mazda has a repair manual for the P5's really sucks!!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent! After much trial and error I got the front pads installed on beautifully turned rotors! But I cannot get the rear caliper pistons to retrack so I can install the new pads! How do you do this?

Does any one know the torque settings for the calipers?

Your help is greatly appreciatated!!

A frustrated,
Tom Reichard
tr's 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March-23rd-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
audio_nut

audio_nut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to audio_nut
back of the caliber has a place where you put an allen wrech in it, turn it and they will slide open,not sure what size the wrench is..hope this helps.
audio_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March-26th-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
meGrimlock
Me Grimlock KING

meGrimlock is on a distinguished road
you'll have to pull a plastic cap off to expose the allen nut. wow that sounded dirty. keep turning the nut until the piston is fully retracted. dont forget brake grease and the shims (if they didnt come with them) on the new pads. once you install the pads and put the caliper back on, step on the brake pedal a couple times to seat it correctly again. there is a how-to on another forum, i shall appropriate it and give credit to the original poster to help serve this community a bit more.
Old March-26th-2008, 11:45 AM
Mazda3Club
Mazda3

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 2002, 2005, brake, brakes, cost, job, mazda, pad, pads, problems, protege, rear, replace, replacement