3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Stopped to look at a P5 tonight

Search this Thread

Old July-10th-2002, 08:51 PM

funkdaddysmack is on a distinguished road
Stopped to look at a P5 tonight

I was kinda of bored tonight, so I stopped by to look at the P5s they have at the dealer near my house. I think they have 5 or 6 all together, but I only looked at two. The one I liked the most was silver, leather, moonroof, 5 spd. (of course), CD, etc.... I was suprised it was 'only' stickered for $18xxx.

It didn't have an alarm, but I've heard the factory alarm was a joke anyways. The dealership was closed so I really didn't get to talk to anyone, or take it for a drive. One thing I've noticed though was I liked the shifter on the Protege ESs better than the shifter on the P5. Maybe it was just because it had leather interior, and a leather wrapped shifter?

Also, it may have been a 2002.5 because I think the rims looked a little different. Did they change the rims a little bit? They're still 5star, but they are like more straight, I like them. Maybe I'm just imagining things?

Anyways, I would have liked to have taken it for a drive, but I DON'T want salesmen to constantly call me and bug me into buying one.... So maybe it was a good thing they weren't open!

I envy you P5 owners, they are beautiful cars, especially the more I see them!
Old July-11th-2002, 01:03 AM

skyhawk174 is on a distinguished road
YES BETTER CUP HOLDERS!!!! Boy Mazda must have been asleep when they put the cup holders in the P5. We normally have a boltte of water in each cup holder and most of the time the passenger bottle goes flying when I turn a corner. The driver side hole is smaller so it does not happen as often but they sure need to be deeper or at the very least some rubber thingys to grab the cup. I guess Mazda tried the fit with a tiny coffee cup or it's for keeping your loose change?

I have not seen the latest holders in the 2003 P5 but I understand from reading some other posts that they are better but no cover. Hmmm, better with no cover or lousy with cover?

I wonder if you can change out the cup holders from the 2003 to put it in the 2002?
Old July-11th-2002, 08:55 AM

VaporTrails is on a distinguished road
How do I know which mod-level my P5 is? Is there some code in the VIN to indicate a 2002.5, as opposed to an earlier version? I know I've got a late model because of the "mid-cycle refresh" (side blinkers), but I'm not sure which.
Old July-11th-2002, 09:04 AM
JJB
Protege Owner

JJB is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by VaporTrails
How do I know which mod-level my P5 is? Is there some code in the VIN to indicate a 2002.5, as opposed to an earlier version? I know I've got a late model because of the "mid-cycle refresh" (side blinkers), but I'm not sure which.
Unless things have changed the trim level on the P5 is a fixed thing... only options were ABS/air bags, polished wheels and the sunroof.

And there have only been two model years in the US, the 2002 and the 2002.5 which can be identified by the different marker lights.
Old July-11th-2002, 09:22 AM

funkdaddysmack is on a distinguished road
When I was there last night I also looked at a very nice Black 2002.5 ProtegeES. I wasn't sure if they did mid-year updates with the ES like they did with the 5, but they had the same 'new' unpolished rims on there, so i just assumed. That car was pretty nice too, and it was only stickering for $16xxx. Not too shabby. The cars were brank spanking new, even had the plastic covers still on the seats... Gimme gimme gimme!

I might stop by again tonight after work, maybe even get a test drive. I almost hate to though because I'll know I want to buy one
Old July-11th-2002, 10:59 AM

enormiss is on a distinguished road
Anybody know what production month started 2002½.
I have a prd date of 03/02 and is the later refreshed model.
Old July-11th-2002, 12:32 PM
Protege Enthusiast

mts3 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by funkdaddysmack

I might stop by again tonight after work, maybe even get a test drive. I almost hate to though because I'll know I want to buy one
Umm, yep you'll want to. I was sold on one after having driven a P5 automatic even though I knew I'd buy a 5 speed. Maybe I'll get to buy it next week when my car sells

Tyson
Old July-11th-2002, 02:25 PM

skyhawk174 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by hieb40

I don't see why you couldn't.

However, I don't think that the cup holders are that bad. I always have a bottle in there (yeah ok, i chew) and have never had a problem with anything spilling. The only thing i have noticed that sucks is that large cups (like a fast food large or whatever) doesn't fit well. Not a biggie though as i try to limit eating and everything in my car.
Like you, I also limit the eating and drinking in the car. As for the water bottle, the fit is sloppy as all get out. The bottle is 591 ml(?? oz) and arond 8 1/2" high. The diameter is approx 2 3/4" so it literally falls over. I of course keep the cap on so nothing spills and even if it did, it's only water.
Old July-11th-2002, 02:28 PM
Protege Enthusiast

nramsey is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by enormiss
Anybody know what production month started 2002½.
I have a prd date of 03/02 and is the later refreshed model.
According to Mazda's website the refreshed models were all built after 2/28/02. This is when the new 6 speaker stereo, and sequential automatic were introduced the site says. My 2002.5 has a build date of 4/02

Not sure if the cup holders got any better, all I know is the medium 21 oz sized drink cups from BK fit fine (they are a little smaller than the holder) but they are held fine as almost half of the cup is down inside the holder...they appear pretty deep.

I actually prefer the uncovered holders because I like to put my cell phone in there and I like not having to have the cover open all the time because I put my wallet in the little nook just in front of the cupholders while I am driving.

Last edited by nramsey; July-11th-2002 at 02:31 PM.
Old July-11th-2002, 02:54 PM
Protege Enthusiast

bmorton is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nramsey

According to Mazda's website the refreshed models were all built after 2/28/02. This is when the new 6 speaker stereo, and sequential automatic were introduced the site says. My 2002.5 has a build date of 4/02

I actually prefer the uncovered holders because I like to put my cell phone in there and I like not having to have the cover open all the time because I put my wallet in the little nook just in front of the cupholders while I am driving.
To make things even more confusing, the updates (apart from the new cupholder) apply only to US models. Canadian P5s built after 28/2/02 do not have the rest of the updates. There's no official '2002.5' model in either country, however, but it helps to make the distinction.

I'm very glad my P5 has the old cupholders with the door. I keep coins and keys in there and appreciate having a door to keep them hidden. Guess each person's take on the cupholders will depend on what they use them for.