3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Driving tips

Old July-10th-2002, 01:00 PM

VaporTrails is on a distinguished road
Driving tips

Sorry for the slightly off-topic question below. I'll start by saying I just rolled over 200 miles on my MP5 on the way to work this morning ... and I enjoy every mile more than the last!

Here's the question.... It's been a while since I've driven a stick, and I can do it pretty well for being self-educated. However, I'm looking for resources for more information. Questions I want answered are:
  • What are the benefits of engine braking? Should I do it/should I always use the brakes? How do I overcome it when I need to drive slow, like in a parking lot? (the car seems to lurch a lot in these curcimstances).
  • Should I downshift when I come to a stopsign/stoplight. I was told I need to downshift through the gears to "slow down the engine", but now that I'm wiser (read: OLDER!), it doesn't make much sense. As soon as I let my foot off the gas in 5th, engine rpm's drop to 1500. When I downshift, revs increase, so really, I'm speeding up the engine by downshifting.
Can somebody point me to an online resource for semi-advanced driving tips for driving clutch/stick, or help answer some of the questions above? Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old July-10th-2002, 01:09 PM
Protege Enthusiast

2002VividYellow is on a distinguished road
Re: Driving tips

Originally posted by VaporTrails

Should I downshift when I come to a stopsign/stoplight. I was told I need to downshift through the gears to "slow down the engine", but now that I'm wiser (read: OLDER!), it doesn't make much sense. As soon as I let my foot off the gas in 5th, engine rpm's drop to 1500. When I downshift, revs increase, so really, I'm speeding up the engine by downshifting.

-Chris
Doing this which I do myself over time will decrease your clutch life. Down shifting into a lower gear can also do some tranny damage if you're going too fast.
Old July-10th-2002, 01:13 PM
Get in my belly!!!

mito7878 is on a distinguished road
IMO placing it in Nuetral and using the brakes is you best bet. Also when driving in a parking lot I always use 2nd gear.
Old July-10th-2002, 01:25 PM
Protege Enthusiast

2002VividYellow is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by blue LEDz
the biggest benifit of down shifting is increased life of brake pads.
Allot easier & cheaper to replace pads then the clutch
Old July-10th-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by mito7878
...when driving in a parking lot I always use 2nd gear.
I've got some mammoth speed-bumps to drive over at work, so I slow down to about 5mph. In 2nd, the engine is pretty dang close to stalling, but again, in 1st, the car is pretty lurchy (probably because, like me, it hates going so slow). It's kinda' like a lose-lose situation. Am I supposed to just deal with the lurching nature of driving slow, or is there something I can adjust in my technique to fix it?
Old July-10th-2002, 02:23 PM
Bruce Leroy

Pro_fan is on a distinguished road

I've got some mammoth speed-bumps to drive over at work, so I slow down to about 5mph. In 2nd, the engine is pretty dang close to stalling, but again, in 1st, the car is pretty lurchy (probably because, like me, it hates going so slow. It's kinda' like a lose-lose situation. Am I supposed to just deal with the lurching nature of driving slow, or is there something I can adjust in my technique to fix it?
I feather the clutch in these situations or I just clutch in fully and use my intertia to ride over the bump.

Option 2 is preferable to option 1 as there is less wear on the clutch...just make sure you have enough speed to clear the bump!
Old July-10th-2002, 04:13 PM
Likwidated

Makaveli is on a distinguished road
There's nothing wrong with downshifting. Keeps you in the right gear and it's not like you're downshifting and jumping up to 5,000 rpms. You just downshift so that the gear slows you down slightly and still use your brakes of course. You will eventually have to replace the clutch once well past 100,000 kms so the extra wear won't make a big difference in the end.

I also hate having to come to a full stop, so I always downshift and hope to be rolling when the light turns green.
Old July-10th-2002, 04:20 PM
Protege Enthusiast

nramsey is on a distinguished road
The best way to downshift is of course heal/toe...of course that's a bit more advanced technique, but is pretty easy to learn and a heck of a lot of fun. Heal/toe downshifting reduces wear on the clutch because it is not having to speed up the engine/transmission to get into the lower gear, it's a seamless transition. It also prevents the lurch forward of a downshift without heal/toe. I do it all the time (almost every time I have to slow down) in my Miata, if for no other reason than to hear the exhaust when I blip the throttle. I do it occasionally in the P5...when I am driving "enthusiastically"

I was pleasantly suprised that the brake and gas pedal in the P5 are well placed for heal/toe (or in most people's cases, left side of foot, right side of foot) downshifting! Zoom Zoom!

Last edited by nramsey; July-10th-2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old July-10th-2002, 04:58 PM
Master of All Things :{D

Sir Nuke is on a distinguished road
As long as you are not downshifting at the PEAK speed for that particular gear....you are not going to damage your clutch....I have been using "engine breaking" for as long as I have been driving manuals...which is over 25 years...and I have NEVER EVER had a clutch wear out or need to be replaced prematurely because of it....my current truck has 125,000 miles on it and shows NO signs of premature clutch failure or excessive wear....

its all in how you do it....if you keep downshifting when the engine will rev back up to like 5500 r's...then yes....its going to make a difference...but if you are talking about just to somewhere between 3K to 4K....and you don't allow the revs to go to idle before you let the clutch back out...just like you don't do that when you are UP shifting....as long as you are not slipping the clutch...its okay....if the speed at which you are downhsifting is causeing the clutch to slip then its bad....
Old July-10th-2002, 05:37 PM
Eat my Noodle!

Location: Location: Location: Location: <<std ERR: 604 A00:24>>
noodles is on a distinguished road
Let me make this clear to you as i did attend a brief seminar at advance stick driving.

When you downshift - if you rev match while downshifting ( also known as heal/toe ) but not necessary using the heal toe, just depress clutch, rev it up to where the engine would be on the lower gear and then put it back into gear, there is virtually no wear or tear on the clutch. This not only allows the engine to slow down for you, but also when done properly, there will be no forward lurching. Then you can add brakes when you need to come to a complete stop.

The most important thing about downshifting to slow down is that you ALWAYS stay in gear. What if you go neutral and you need to move out of the way for some reason, IE: another car, oncoming drunk driver, deer, and you need to speed up to get out of the way? You are in neutral and the reaction to get back into gear will be crucial to whether or not you live. So by downshifting you will stay in gear and have the ability to just gas it when you need to.

Driving in rush hour and parking lots:

The best way to avoid jurkyness is to feather the gas to about 1000-1500 RPMS and release the clutch just a bit to get you going then depress clutch and ride the momentum while in neutral. Once you have a good decent speed like 5-10 MPH then release clutch all the way and ride in first and it'll be smooth.

Any more tips, just ask.
Old July-11th-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by noodles

The most important thing about downshifting to slow down is that you ALWAYS stay in gear. What if you go neutral and you need to move out of the way for some reason, IE: another car, oncoming drunk driver, deer, and you need to speed up to get out of the way? You are in neutral and the reaction to get back into gear will be crucial to whether or not you live. So by downshifting you will stay in gear and have the ability to just gas it when you need to.
Thanks for the tip, noodles (you too, mazdanew). This bit of info above is what'll keep me downshifting. 99.9% of the time it'll just be a waste of a micron of material on my clutch, but that time when I need to be in gear, I'll be damn glad it is.

Driving in rush hour and parking lots:

The best way to avoid jurkyness is to feather the gas to about 1000-1500 RPMS and release the clutch just a bit to get you going then depress clutch and ride the momentum while in neutral. Once you have a good decent speed like 5-10 MPH then release clutch all the way and ride in first and it'll be smooth.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Had to to drive the crummy GrandAm today because of a trip to town right around 5pm rush hour. I don't want that kind of stop-n-go strain on the car just yet - she's still gettin' warmed up! (only 250 miles so far...)

Thanks for all the help.
Old July-11th-2002, 09:05 AM
Get in my belly!!!

mito7878 is on a distinguished road

I've got some mammoth speed-bumps to drive over at work, so I slow down to about 5mph. In 2nd, the engine is pretty dang close to stalling, but again, in 1st, the car is pretty lurchy (probably because, like me, it hates going so slow). It's kinda' like a lose-lose situation. Am I supposed to just deal with the lurching nature of driving slow, or is there something I can adjust in my technique to fix it?
Why not just come to a complete stop at the bumps and then accelerate over them?
Old July-11th-2002, 09:33 AM

Why not just come to a complete stop at the bumps and then accelerate over them?
I practically have to -- that's kind of the point. I get over one of them, and there's no point in accellerating much, because I have to practically stop again for the next one. So, I end up driving with my car bucking around in first gear.
Old July-11th-2002, 11:43 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Brubeck is on a distinguished road
IMO placing it in Nuetral and using the brakes is you best bet.
I would like to point out that this is considered "coasting" and is illegal in most states. Check you states operator's manual. This is true also for automatics (they have neutral too).

The reason that coasting is illegal is exactly how noodles says "It greatly diminishes ones ability to handle their automobile in a situation of crisis.

When you are slowing down your car, there are many times when you don't actually come to a complete stop. You slow down because someone pulls out in front of you, but eventually speeds up; or you slow down for a traffic light that turns green before you stop. If you are downshifting/engine braking when this occurs, you just have to resume accelerating in the gear you are in and then upshift like normal. If you are coasting, then you suddenly have to pick a gear from Nuetral that appropriately matches your speed. I've been with drivers who have both stalled their cars and revved them way too high trying to do this.

Do you put your automatic transmission in neutral before you slow down. Hell No!!! So *everybody* leaves their automatic in gear when they stop.

I'd also like to agree with Sir Nuke. I had a 1994 Toyota pickup, a daily driver with 128,000 miles on it. I always downshifted when stopping, and not only did I not have to replace my brakes. I never replaced the clutch either.

I think I've said this before, but next time you see an 18-wheeler on the street, pay attention to when he has to stop. I guarantee that you'll here that sucker engine braking like made.

Now I have to re-read this and make sure I didn't misspell braking. No one wants to have engine breaking... ugh

Last edited by Brubeck; July-11th-2002 at 11:46 AM.
Old July-11th-2002, 11:46 AM

Good info -- thanks, guys. Now, not only do I have to teach my wife to downshift .. I have to try to convince her to always do it!

0-Chr9s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving tips