3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old May-27th-2002, 04:36 PM
Protege Enthusiast

PJStyles is on a distinguished road
Okay great... I'll definitely go with synthetic.. but now I'm reading all this stuff that Mobil has changed the blends of their Mobil 1 synthetic and that it's not a TRUE synthetic but more like Castrol's Syntec?

Any Canadians here have any advice on which synthetic oil to use now?

PJStyles
Old May-28th-2002, 03:20 AM
Likwidated

Makaveli is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by PJStyles
Okay great... I'll definitely go with synthetic.. but now I'm reading all this stuff that Mobil has changed the blends of their Mobil 1 synthetic and that it's not a TRUE synthetic but more like Castrol's Syntec?
Yeah, I wanna know more about this too....

as for oil changes, since my dealership requires 8000 km changes, I just change my oil every 8000 kms..... (that's with synthetic oil in there)..... I bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1, gave it to Mazda to use at my service and yeah, I'm full of synthetics now
Old May-28th-2002, 08:43 AM
Protege Newbie

MDV Synthetics is on a distinguished road
PJStyles
Mobil lost the lawsuit against Castrol challenging Castrol's claim that they were fully synthetic. Since then, Mobil has reformulated and is taking advantage of higher profit margins. If you can't beat them, join em'.

There are two full synthetics that I am aware of. Amsoil and Redline. There may be others, but I don't know for sure. You can get both Amsoil and Redline in Canada, but they can be pretty expensive depending on where you live. You're best bet, if you're close to the border, would be to have a friend in the states that it can be shipped to or find a local shop that has it on sale.
Old May-28th-2002, 08:48 AM
Protege Newbie

Originally posted by Pro_fan

Manual states oil changes at 7500 km, but I do it at 5000 km. I believe synth is good for something like 10 000 km, but somebody else will have to post that for sure...I can't recall as I haven't used it before.
I'm not sure of the conversions right now, but synthetic oil can be used longer than conventional oils. The actual interval depends on you're driving conditions. Short trips in cold weather are the worst, and the oil would need to be changed more frequently. Extended highway trips are the best and offer the longest possible interval. Just ball park numbers, I wouldn't go past 10,000 km in mixed driving conditions without support from an oil analysis to check how the oil is holding up. I believe 10,000km is about 7500 miles and this is what I based the number on.
Old May-28th-2002, 08:49 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Is it true what I'm hearing from various people that if you start using synthetic oil you void the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle?

PJStyles
Old May-28th-2002, 09:19 AM
Bruce Leroy

Pro_fan is on a distinguished road
Is it true what I'm hearing from various people that if you start using synthetic oil you void the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle?

PJStyles
I believe that as long as the oil meets or exceeds the SAE standards that are outlined in the manual, then any oil will work. Since most synthetics at least meet the SAE standard I would think that the majority of them would not void the warranty.
Old May-28th-2002, 10:31 AM
Protege Newbie

PJStyles
Synthetic oil will not void your warranty as it meets or exceeds the SAE and API requirements. Below is an excerpt from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975:

Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: “(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if – (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.” (42 U.S.C. 2302 (C))
---------------------------------
What this means is that manufactures cannot require you to use only their fluids. The lubricants are recommended according to their viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it’s conventional petroleum motor oil or synthetic, meeting the correct viscosity grade, 5W-30 for example, and the current API SL and ILSAC GF-3 North American service classifications may be used without affecting warranty coverage.

AMSOIL motor oils are recommended for use in applications requiring these specifications.

Last edited by MDV Synthetics; May-28th-2002 at 10:37 AM.
Old May-28th-2002, 12:41 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I don't know of any retailers in Canada that carry Amsoil?

PJStyles
Old May-28th-2002, 02:16 PM
Protege Newbie

Originally posted by TheMAN
Let's not forget about Royal Purple being a true synthetic
Is it though? Their website is pretty vague, though I will admit I simply don't know that much about RP.
Old May-28th-2002, 03:25 PM
Protege Enthusiast

NoahsMP5 is on a distinguished road
Mobil 1 states that it is a fully synthetic oil on the bottle. I think the only reason that you would not use synthetic right away is because when you break in your car there is no need for it and why spend the extra cash. I would also recommend doing your own oil changes if your going to use synthetic. For me to get a synthetic change runs me 42.00 ( us) For me to do it myself it is like 16.00 plus 20 min.
Old May-28th-2002, 06:03 PM
Protege Newbie

Mobil meets the legal defintion of a full synthetic that was determined as a result of the court battle bewteen them and Castrol. The question is what is this new oil REALLY. Does it meet the commonly accepted meaning of full synthetic or not. Are the laywers and marketing people playing games with us in order to maximize profits at our expense. Personally, if I'm paying for what I think is a true synthetic so I can have the best protection for my car, I WANT a true synthetic.

I agree with you that it is worth it by far to change your own oil. It costs less and just as important, you know the job was done right.
Old May-28th-2002, 06:33 PM
Protege Enthusiast

NoahsMP5 is on a distinguished road
Thats just plan true. I got tears rolling down my face. 23- 30 are the best
Old May-28th-2002, 07:07 PM
Master of All Things :{D

Sir Nuke is on a distinguished road
that is some pretty funny stuff Edwin.....but....if that is what YOU go through to change YOUR oil.....get a woman to do it for you! lol
Old May-29th-2002, 03:13 PM
Protege Newbie

blackmp5 is on a distinguished road
New Mobil 1 with SuperSyn

I also read that the New Mobil 1 was reformulated and is no longer a fully synthetic as normal people would define it but was a refined Grade III basestock(mineral or dino oil) which the court has allowed to be included within the definition of "synthetic" which is what Castrol Syntec was doing.

However, I decided to call Mobil at (800) 662-4525 and they confirmed that this is just rumor and that the new formula with the Supersyn still uses Grade IV and V basestock(fully synthetic).
Old May-29th-2002, 03:40 PM
has issues

cjb200 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Mobil 1 with SuperSyn

Originally posted by blackmp5
I also read that the New Mobil 1 was reformulated and is no longer a fully synthetic as normal people would define it but was a refined Grade III basestock(mineral or dino oil) which the court has allowed to be included within the definition of "synthetic" which is what Castrol Syntec was doing.

However, I decided to call Mobil at (800) 662-4525 and they confirmed that this is just rumor and that the new formula with the Supersyn still uses Grade IV and V basestock(fully synthetic).
I called them too when I first heard this rumor, and they said the same thing. I talked to an Amsoil distributor a few weeks ago. Even he said Mobil 1 was still fully synthetic, although he wished he could say otherwise.

It seems this is just a rumor that's easy for people to believe.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil