3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

1999 Protege - Problems?

Search this Thread

Old May-29th-2002, 08:56 AM
Protege Newbie

Wilson is on a distinguished road
Question 1999 Protege - Problems?

I've recently decided to buy out my black 1999 Protege LX after the 3-yr lease is up. The warranty will be expiring at the same time, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems with these cars that I should get fixed/documented before it expires. My car's only at 52,000 km (~30,000 miles)-- if you have a '99 with higher milage than that, I'd really like to hear from you!

Mine has been a really good car so far. I've only had two problems -- a misfiring coil distributor that was replaced under warranty, and lots of minor body damage (stone chips, scratches, dings - everything shows on black!)

My dealer told me that a lot of '99 & '00's have the distributor problem, but they're not doing a recall or anything. Makes me wonder what other common problems are out there...

Thanks for your help!

Wilson
Old May-29th-2002, 09:11 AM

biknman is on a distinguished road
99 Pro problems

I have 99 LX with 90K on it. Only problem I had was a bad throttle position sensor which is part of the throttle body. Mazda replaced it under warranty no problems even though I was running a Injen CAI. The only other real problems I had was the front door locks have these plastic covers that broke causing the door locks not to work but there is service notice out for that and Mazda will replace under warranty and the door seals on the rear doors fall off easily same as the door locks. Only two recalls I know of was for the rear speakers wiring and the Mass Air Flow sensor. As for maintenance DO NOT SPRAY WATER AT THE SPARK PLUGS when washing engine. Water can get down in the spark plug holes and the plugs will get damaged cause all kinds of havoc with the car. That’s about it a really reliable car and I drive it like I stole it all the time.
See pics click link in my sig.
Dave
Old May-30th-2002, 09:15 AM
Protege Enthusiast

brsexton is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hey, I also have a 99 Protege DX that has 73,600 miles on it. So far I have not had too much trouble with it..The only problems I have had were the Mass air flow and the coil packs replaced at around 37,000 miles. Thats all major problems I had with the car. I really feel this is a very good car I hope to see it last me 300,000 miles or more. Just remember to keep up the service on it and it should last.

Thanks,
Barry
Old May-30th-2002, 09:48 AM
Protege Newbie

Wilson is on a distinguished road
Mass Air Flow Sensor?

I don't think that I've had my Mass Air Flow sensor repaired. What does it do, and how do I know if it's malfunctioning?
Old May-30th-2002, 07:09 PM

protetype is on a distinguished road
Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Originally posted by Wilson
I don't think that I've had my Mass Air Flow sensor repaired. What does it do, and how do I know if it's malfunctioning?
if it's shot.. the car won't run. if it's malfuctioning, the car will idle and drive really rough. :]