Mazda Motorsports Racing (legitimate, non street racing), ¼ mile times Discussions Only

Brand new clutch slips badly in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old May-13th-2002, 01:59 PM
Protege Enthusiast

btaira is on a distinguished road
Brand new clutch slips badly in 2nd gear

Guys, I just got a new clutch installed a couple of weeks ago (pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, resurfaced the flywheel). The original clutch (138k miles) was slipping a lot on launch, so I replaced it with an "OEM" grade clutch (I'm in H stock).

I went to my second autocross practice session since replacing the clutch on Saturday. After about 14 runs, the clutch began to slip VERY badly in second gear. And not just for a second or two after shifting from 1st to 2nd. I could rev the engine in second gear like it was still in NEUTRAL!

After cooling off, the clutch seems to be grapping just fine again.

Before I start yelling at the shop for installing a poor quality clutch (which incidentally came with a 5 yr. 70,000 mile warranty), I want to know if clutches have a break in period.

Also, does anyone know if there is a performance difference between a genuine Mazda clutch (from the dealer) and an "OEM" clutch that a independent shop would use?
Old May-13th-2002, 04:25 PM

funkdaddysmack is on a distinguished road
Re: Brand new clutch slips badly in 2nd gear

Originally posted by btaira
Guys, I just got a new clutch installed a couple of weeks ago (pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, resurfaced the flywheel). The original clutch (138k miles) was slipping a lot on launch, so I replaced it with an "OEM" grade clutch (I'm in H stock).

I went to my second autocross practice session since replacing the clutch on Saturday. After about 14 runs, the clutch began to slip VERY badly in second gear. And not just for a second or two after shifting from 1st to 2nd. I could rev the engine in second gear like it was still in NEUTRAL!

After cooling off, the clutch seems to be grapping just fine again.

Before I start yelling at the shop for installing a poor quality clutch (which incidentally came with a 5 yr. 70,000 mile warranty), I want to know if clutches have a break in period.

Also, does anyone know if there is a performance difference between a genuine Mazda clutch (from the dealer) and an "OEM" clutch that a independent shop would use?
Generally, there is a 500 mile breakin period in which you should be babying that thing! I hear it will cut the life of the clutch in half if it's not properly broken in.