3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

windshield washer fluid. problem anyone elese

Old April-30th-2002, 10:02 PM
Protege Enthusiast

vibrantvivid is on a distinguished road
windshield washer fluid. problem anyone elese

i took my p5 to the shop today to find out why my rear windshield washer fluid is leaking and they had it for 5 hours and diddnt know what i was talking about . anyways i was wondering if anyone elese is haveing this problem with their rides. it dosent leak until i get on it hard. or when i shift at 6500 or higher. turns out they are going to have to order a bunch of stuff for it now. thank god its under warranty.
Old May-1st-2002, 07:18 AM
Protege Enthusiast

bmorton is on a distinguished road
Mine doesn't do this but I've seen posts on this topic before and a number of people have said that theirs also has fluid dribbling out when accelerating. You're definitely not alone.
Old May-1st-2002, 08:43 AM
Master of All Things :{D

Sir Nuke is on a distinguished road
Yes this topic has been posted before....mine doesn't do it either....and I don't remember a SOLUTION being posted either.
Old May-1st-2002, 09:10 AM
Protege Enthusiast

ILMP5 is on a distinguished road
I have this problem occur to me twice, the dealer replaced the rear washer nozzle twice already! will need info on the solution too.
Old May-1st-2002, 12:31 PM
Protege Enthusiast

vibrantvivid is on a distinguished road
the dealership said that if i have the same problem 3 times that i can either get all my money back from the sale of the car or they will get me a new one. i dont know if anyone elese has a lemon law in their state. you might want to check it out. the way i see it is you just bought a $20000 car and you should be satisfied and happy with what you bought. if this occurs 2 more times im ditching the P5 and going back to my old school drift days in a silvia .
Old May-1st-2002, 12:39 PM
Chunkin' tha Duece

vkyolv is on a distinguished road
Mine does it too....it's pretty annoying...Not to mention it you car has been in the sun all day..the fluid evaporates pretty quick leaving a "dribble streak" down your rear window.
Old May-1st-2002, 01:17 PM
Master of All Things :{D

Sir Nuke is on a distinguished road
IF you can not get this resolved....there is a solution that will do away with the water dribble....PINCH the line from washer fluid bottle closed and leave it that way.....I RARELY have ever used the rear wiper on ANY car I have had with one....not to mention the washer for it. sure its drastic...but you could solve your problem that way....OR if you have a WET and DRY season in your area....and really don't use it during the dry season....get a small TUBING valve and put it in line from the tank...then just turn it off....then back on during the wet season when you are most likely to use it.

just some ideas.
Old May-1st-2002, 04:16 PM
Evil P5 On The Loose!!!!

Evil Homer MP5 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, i noticed that too, but it doesn't really bother me too much.
Old May-1st-2002, 07:22 PM
Patriotic Protege5

azrakain is on a distinguished road
I was wondering what exactly are you doing when yours leaks? I have never had a leak, but am interested to see if mine does that. I recall seeing something in the manual about a low fluid light, but have never seen the light and even ran it out to see if there was a light....it never lit up, if it even exists.
Old January-26th-2005, 01:51 PM

Denny is on a distinguished road
Leaking rear windshield washer, P5

I was reading some of these old posts and do not know if anyone ever got the problem resolved. In case not:

The fix is to vent the washer fluid bottle with a small hole. Why it gets pressurized with the loose fitting cap is beyond me. I drilled a small hole next to the cap and put in a small rubber breather (or drain tube) off an old starter just to get fancy.

Denny

Last edited by Denny; January-26th-2005 at 03:44 PM.