Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

2004 mazda3 2.3 starting problems after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old January-2nd-2013, 08:31 AM

jfree79 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 mazda3 2.3 starting problems after rebuild

Hey all.

I have recently installed new piston rings and a remaned head om my engine. I have the timing tools needed to reassemble this engine and keep it in time. I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor with the allignment tool to allign it with the gear on the pully. After getting it back together it will not start. After rechecking timing and all wiring harness connections I noticed that the intake cam that came with the new head had a different camshaft position gear on it than the original for my engine. Different patteren and 6 lobes vs 5 lobes. So I switched back to the original intake cam and replaced the camshaft posotion sensor and still no start.

When trying to start the ignition will spark only one or maybe two times then nothing, it does try to fire when it gets the spark. I put a PVM on the wires before the coils and it shows plenty of voltage but only when it gets that one or two sparks. It seems as if the PCM thinks the cam/crank timing is off and is shutting down the spark.

Has anyone out there had this problem or know a solution? I am completly frustrated at this point and need to get this car running! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Jeff