Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Check Engine Light 07 mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old November-20th-2010, 08:28 AM

leeleemaz3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Engine Light 07 mazda 3

Check Engine Light came on - local parts store checked the code.
2 possible problems -
Coolant low
Defective Engine Temp Sensor

I added more coolant - didn't think it was low but added some...not more than a cup.

56,000 miles

Any suggestions - local dealership sucks
Any suggestions?
Thinking about taking it and have diagnostics run just to make sure that the sensor isn't bad....

Thanks for the help!
Old December-19th-2010, 06:03 AM

Razpewton is on a distinguished road
My CEL came on so I took it to Advanced Auto Part where they hooked up the hand-held computer. They said is was the braking system. That's when I noticed a burnt out 3rd brake light.

Replaced the light, then all the brake lights quit working. I took them out and they checked good. A back to Advanced where the guy said the brake switch is probably bad, so I replaced the brake switch. Now the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the brake lights work, other times they don't. Regular lights and turning signals work fine.

I'm thinking there's a relay between my brake switch and brake lights somewhere, that's sticking or has an intermittent short. Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 2006 Mazda 3, 5 door hatchback? I've searched online, but most website take you to a sea of Google ads, with no mention the actual Mazda 3 wiring diagrams.
Old December-29th-2010, 11:01 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by leeleemaz3
Check Engine Light came on - local parts store checked the code.
2 possible problems -
Coolant low
Defective Engine Temp Sensor

I added more coolant - didn't think it was low but added some...not more than a cup.

56,000 miles

Any suggestions - local dealership sucks
Any suggestions?
Thinking about taking it and have diagnostics run just to make sure that the sensor isn't bad....

Thanks for the help!

You can get a scan tool for under $100, and then you can see the code for yourself - and get what they call freeze frame data - which is the data that's live on the car communication bus. That would let you check if it's a bad temp sensor (if it reads way off from outside temp after sitting overnight). It will also show you a lot of other data on the car that you may find interesting or useful for future issues.