Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old January-24th-2009, 11:48 PM
ivo

ivo is on a distinguished road
Spark plugs

I'm at almost 52K miles and thinking of replacing the spark plugs and maybe a cabin filter. I was wondering if any of you replaced the plugs already and what plugs did you use? OEM or aftermarket? Any suggestions? Also, have you replaced the cabin air filter and how hard is it to do it? Any help would be appreciated. 10x
Old March-13th-2009, 08:13 AM

pigmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe the interval on the sparkplugs is supposed to be around 80 or 90k. You shouldn't need to change them at 50k unless there have been other mechanical problems or some kind of fuel delivery issues. I doubt that you've had any of those, but if you have - please keep reading.

The 3 uses Iridium plugs. DO NOT use non-iridium plugs in this vehicle. You will have misfires and throw a 'check engine' light. Not to mention losing power and mpg. I know. I tried it. I used the Bosch IR fusions that are supposed to be 'better than OEM iridium'. That's bull poopy. I drove 30 miles and got a check engine light. Returned them and got my money back.

I am currently running NGK Iridium IX's. They are OK, but I would recommend the stock NGK ITR6F-13. Those are the car came with. They are gapped from the factory to stock specs for your 3. The IX's are gapped around .044, which requires you to regap to around .050. Gapping Iridiums is not fun. You gotta be really careful not to screw up that center.

As a side note, my 2004 mazda3 came with ITR5's rather than the 6's that all the autoparts stores and sites show as "stock" for the 3. I did a little looking and apparently, some of the '04 s came with hotter plugs (thus the '5' in the part number). The lower the number the 'hotter' the plug.

I noticed an immediate difference in low-end power with my new colder plugs. I plan to replace them in a few months with the stock NGK ITR5F-13. I don't know why the plugs changed after 2004.

I haven't done my cabin filter. I know the dealer will charge $150 to replace it. There is a post on here with step by step instructions (no pics). Doesn't sound very hard. You will not, however, find the cabin filter at your local parts store... or at least I didn't. Best bet is to order it online. Good luck.

BTW: I have a 2.3L engine .
Old June-14th-2010, 03:40 PM

virgin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

(Bringing back the "dead threads.")

In 2005, Mazda made a change in the coil that drives the plugs. That's probably why.

I too am looking for replacement plugs after nearly 60k, but am noticing missing and the car having a tough time in the hot, humid Texas summer we are having this year. The "humid" is unusual, not the hot. This is good information and I thank you for it, pigmouse.

Old June-14th-2010, 07:34 PM

MZ3SPORTRUE is an unknown quantity at this point
i just replaced my plugs about a week ago. i used NGK IX Iridiums and gapped them at 0.44! definitely improved performance (throttle response) and gas mileage! definitely a go!
Old June-14th-2010, 07:42 PM

YOU again!! I know that sig. I know that location!!
Now take off those side moldings, like a man!!

Old June-14th-2010, 09:15 PM

remember the sig and location! and noooooooo never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by virgin1

YOU again!! I know that sig. I know that location!!
Now take off those side moldings, like a man!!

Old June-15th-2010, 03:53 AM

It's ironic how sometimes when you meet someone you've never met before, they seem to crop up everywhere you are.
As you can see, I have been a member here for a little while but have never posted... till yesterday. Then suddenly, there you are? Excuse me, Sir, but are you following me around?

This Funny stuff.

Old June-15th-2010, 07:16 AM

nawwwwwwwww, it just happend to work out that way lol. maybe its a sign? hmmmmm lol

lol it is really funny!
Old September-5th-2010, 04:57 PM

marty is on a distinguished road
I replaced the original plugs today Sept 5_2010 (96, 287kM) on my 2006 Mazda 3 2.3L. The ones that came out where FoMoCo ILTR5A-13G. I didn't know that Japanese built cars have Ford parts but apparently they do. The new plugs are NGK Laser Iridium ILTR5A-13G. I also replaced the air filter (Fram CA9898) and topped up the battery with distilled water.
Marty
Old September-27th-2010, 06:37 PM

suzoom is on a distinguished road
Cool Changing spark plugs

[/I]Well it's time....at 79,000 miles and time to change spark plugs!
So go with oem? Or NGK? And how hard is it to change them?
No info on how hard that is!!!
Old October-2nd-2010, 12:11 AM

merc7six is an unknown quantity at this point
ford bought shares, but mazda is slowly buying them out, alot of parts are made by ford i believe from 2010 forward mazda is only going to use the ford pcm's but if you havent noticed the ford escape and the mazda tribute only difference is the emblem on the frt and back.
Old January-15th-2011, 09:43 AM

conall is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pigmouse
I used the Bosch IR fusions that are supposed to be 'better than OEM iridium'. That's bull poopy. I drove 30 miles and got a check engine light. Returned them and got my money back.
Good to know. I bought the Bosch's, but haven't installed them yet.
Will return them for the NGK ITR5F's you mentioned.

BTW - Mine is a '04, also.

Last edited by conall; January-15th-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old March-11th-2011, 04:31 AM

rediii is an unknown quantity at this point
according to the guy in the shop, Denso plugs are the correct ones to put in my mazda 3 (2005 1.6)
is he right as i have not seen them mentioned on these posts...thanks
Old June-17th-2013, 09:43 AM

jlinnenb is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had my 2011 Mazda 3 for a year now and this is my first time owning a car that is not a late 1980/early 1990. After reading through a few different threads about spark plugs I decided to go with the NGK Laser Iridiums. I also did an oil change at the same time and it has only been two days, but I already love the NGK Laser Iridiums!!!! Pervious to the maintenance my car was decreasing in gas mileage a little and it was running a little louder than when I purchased it. Now it is quiet again and the gas mileage has increased!!! We will see what it looks like in the next couple of days.
I did have to go to four different shops to find the spark plugs, but I think it was worth it. My car also had the FoMoCo ILTR5A-13G
Old June-18th-2013, 01:36 AM

MudPuppy is an unknown quantity at this point
I work for FoMoCo and just bought a Mazda. Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs