3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Fog and head lights, clutch, seat belt adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old October-27th-2001, 07:17 AM
Protege Newbie

mjudson is on a distinguished road
Fog and head lights, clutch, seat belt adjustment?

Ok. I have a few adjustments I want to make and your input is
appreciated.

Has anyone adjusted their clutch? My pro5 catches at the very bottom brand new, and I would like to back it out a bit so I can have a bit of play. Plus I think it is catching to early because I notice a very very small kick back or bump some times when shifting, even with it fully to the floor.

Every once in awhile I notice my belt buckle is twisted at the
shoulder harness and I have to straighten it out. Anyone experience this or have a fix? Else, Ill probably have to let it recoil back slowly.

Has anyone used the fog lights in real fog? how good do they work? seems like a joke to me, seeing they only provide 1ft of light infront of the car. Plus the main lights would reflect back light
regardless of what the fog lights were doing. What I want to do is remove the metal shield that is covering the fog lights to get
atleast 10ft of light distance from the fog lights alone and maybe a little more side lighting for curbs.

Any ideas on this? has anyone modified or replaced their fog lights. I dont want to blind anyone, but in their current setup, they feel like they are more for looks than for real world use.

Adjusting the head lights. My head lights are too low and can only see 50-100ft ahead. Has anyone adjusted their head lights? How is this adjusted. I dont see the normal long screw on top like most cars.

Yes, I also get the rattle when it starts cold, but I dont start
moving the car until the temp gauge starts moving. Seems like alot of other pro5's have this problem but they havent figured it out yet. From what Im readying , its something on the back side of the engine below the intakes.

Thanks for you input.
Old October-27th-2001, 09:22 AM
Protege Enthusiast

The Old Guy is on a distinguished road
I agree, the so called fog lights are a joke. The clutch it's not adjusted right. I suggest for you to take it to the dealership to have it adjusted under warranty work. For the headlights adjustments, there are 2 bronze colored screws behind the headlight assembly. I haven't adjusted them but it seems to me that the adjustment is rachet type. By looking at it, using a small long flathead screwdriver, you can adjust it from the top. If you look at the headlight assembly from the top you'll notice a chanel leading to the screw wich have like a serrated washer that I think it is used to turn the screw assembly. Also one of the screws have a plastic cap covering it. I think that you'll need to remove the headlight assembly to remove this cap.
Old October-27th-2001, 01:09 PM
Protege Enthusiast

douggie is on a distinguished road
Your lows are aimed too low? 50ft to 100ft is a lot!!! I've already got high-beamed a few times with just my lows on. Mine is probably aimed too high. And if i get those HID look bulbs, I'll definitely need to aim them lower...
Old November-3rd-2001, 12:08 PM
Protege Newbie

thanks for your replies and answers.

I went ahead last week and was able to find the adjustments for the head lights and fog lights. I got a couple of flashes from the first adjustment, so I re-adjusted and now they seem ok.

Now I just have to figure out the clutch. It appears to be a hydraulic system, but I cant believe there isnt an adjustment without having to bleed the whole system to make adjustments. That just sounds silly. I would hope mazda would have some kind of screw or bolt adjustment that would vary the length of whatever mechanisiam responsible for making the clutch system pressurizied.

any thoughts?

Thanks
Old November-4th-2001, 06:16 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Mjudson, sorry that i (or anyone else) can't answer you about the clutch. But I would like to thank you for helping me out adjusting the fogs (btw, i'm douglam).

About the connectors for the fogs, to connect/disconnect it wasn't my problem. The problem is that the whole connector was initially fastened to the bumper (to prevent it from floping around in the wheel well area) and I yanked it off. Now after i'm done, it seems to be very loose....

There is a blue coloured clip that's supposed to hold the connector to the bumper...
Old November-4th-2001, 09:34 PM
Protege Newbie

kew, glad I could help. You can probably find a similar wire connector at a hardware or automotive store.

I found the clutch adjustment. Pretty easy, but just a tad hard to get to. when you push the clutch, it pushes a rod through the firewall. there is a locking nut on the shaft that needs to be loosen. once that is done, I was able to turn the pilot shaft to the length I needed for the clutch to catch in the middle. much better now.

next I need to seperate the fog lights from the low and highs. I want them to come on when the park lights go on. and stay on when the highs are used.
Old November-4th-2001, 11:56 PM
Protege Enthusiast

mjudson, congrats in your success in adjusting the clutch.

Hmm... i didn't know that our fogs turn off when we switch to high beams until just now ( i went out to get something)... that IS very weird, i don't see why this is useful. Please post if you manage to get the fogs operating independent of the high/low beams.
Old November-5th-2001, 11:41 AM
Protege Enthusiast

90&00 Protege, thanks for the clarification. Hmm, maybe I need to go back and aim the fogs lower now But i guess since there's a metal shield around the top half of the fog bulbs, I don't think there's much direct light out of the lamps. Most of the light that comes out are reflected out.

So how did you modify the fogs so that you can turn it on anytime??? In my state, DRLs aren't required, so i'm fine. It would be very useful if really heavy snow falls or in thick fog.
Old November-6th-2001, 04:48 PM
Protege Newbie

wierd, every post a read is about the fogs being less powerfull than the lows. But I find my fog lights to be brighter than the lows. It just lights up so much more road for me that in comparision the lows feel like flash lights.

whelp, I am also working on seperating the lows/highs from the fog lights. I saw it one time on another forum, but no specifics how he did it. I have to run a search.

See ya around the other forums