Mazda5 Discuss the Mazda 3 sibling, the Mazda 5

speaker size

Search this Thread

Old June-29th-2007, 06:00 PM

smr_bb6 is on a distinguished road
speaker size

any1 know the speaker sizes for the 07 m5?
Old June-29th-2007, 09:05 PM

jzoomer is on a distinguished road
more than likely 5x7 but possably 6.5
Old June-30th-2007, 03:00 PM

smr_bb6 is on a distinguished road
can any1 confirm this^? thanks for the info
Old July-1st-2007, 10:55 AM

HotRodSaint is on a distinguished road
From this thread:

2006-UP Mazda 5:
Front 5x7"
* Can use 6x8"s, see note above.
* Can also use 5.25"s or 6.5"s with additional work, see note above.
Rear 5x7"
* Can use 6x8"s, see note above.
* Can also use 5.25"s or 6.5"s with additional work, see note above.
Old July-13th-2007, 08:57 AM

graz34 is on a distinguished road
The bigger question in my mind is not what fits, but what works well with the factory head unit. I am checking out Crutchfield's suggestions based on what fits, and the user reviews are all pretty positive for most speakers paried with a factory head unit, but of course there are no Mazda5 specific reviews for aftermarket speakers. I am not a car audio nut but I do like my music and I immediately noticed the weak sound from the 5's 6 speaker system compared to my Mazda6's Bose system. I keep waiting for the bass to kick in, but no. None. Nothing. Nada. I'd rather not replace the factory head unit for cost and cosmetics, so I am looking for an easy fix with some replacement speakers.
Old July-13th-2007, 09:59 AM

the factory size will work good those are the same sizes in the 3 but if you are wanting a lil extra bass invest in a small bazooka tube probably around $100 maybe a lil more....but the reason your bose had bass is because it had an alplifier and a lil sub....the bazooka il usually like 7-8" in an 18-24" tube(estimating) but has a built in amp just get the wires to it and you got bass...and it is not loud bass, a lil louder than your bose but it has a **** to adjust how much bass you get... hope that helped
Old July-13th-2007, 10:22 AM

I am not looking for just bass, but just better, fuller sound in general. I was well aware of the sub in the spare tire in my 6. So, my real question is whether it is worth it to just upgrade the speakers with the factory head unit. Will I get a significant enough improvement with better speakers or is it not worth it? Everything I have read says it should make a big difference just replacing factory speakers.

Has anyone replaced their factory speakers and not their head unit and received good results? If so, what brand/model/output did you choose?
Old July-13th-2007, 10:47 AM

i had factory head unit for a while in my focus which has the same size speakers as well....if your wanting better fuller sound...JBL GTO series 5x7component set and small JBL GTO 300 watt amp and it will sound way better than your bose ever did.....i hate bose...no offence ment to you but in the world of car audio..bose sux..if you dont mind some fabrication if you get the 6 1/2" speakers in there it will sound even better alot more clear..but will have less bass
Old July-13th-2007, 11:05 AM

No offense taken. I was mostly referring to how much better the Bose sounded compared to the stock system in my Mazda5. I am not a Bose fan at all, actually. Being somewhat of a home audiofile, I've never been impressed with their little cube speaker systems. I am all about Klipsch reference speakers at home (before they seemed to sell out and started selling their lower end Synergy stuff at Best Buy). Too bad Klipsch doesn't make any car speakers.
Old July-16th-2007, 02:30 PM

I decided to start by replacing the speakers. I ordered 2 pairs of Polk Audio db 570 5"x7" 2-way Speakers. They got pretty good reviews and I've owned some pretty good Polk satellites in my home theater in the past. I figured they have to be better than the stock speakers and they weren't that expensive. I also ordered a few square feet of Dynamat. My Mazda6 with the Bose rattled the hell out of the door panels from the day I got it, so I figured I'd try to nip it in the bud with the addition of these better speakers while I have the door panels off.

I also figured even if these speakers don't make a significant improvement, I could use it as an excuse to go the next level with an amp or better crossover....then maybe a new head unit, but probably not.
Old July-16th-2007, 03:47 PM

GMONEY71174 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2007 Mazda 3, and I hooked up a JL amp and two JL 12" subs to factory H.U., with the Bose audio, sounds great.
Old July-16th-2007, 03:49 PM

GMONEY71174 is on a distinguished road
You can also make trim rings out of 1/4" hardboard and put in a 6 1/2" or 5 1/4" speaker.
Old July-16th-2007, 03:59 PM

There's not really much room in the Mazda5 for any subs or tubes so I am going for a discreet factory look sound system upgrade. I think I may look into replacing the tweeters mounted in the A pillar next.
Old July-16th-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech/How-To/Northeast Mod

_Kansei_ is on a distinguished road
There has got to be room for an infinity basslink or something
Old July-16th-2007, 04:26 PM

You'd be surprised. If you don't want to have to remove a sub every time you want to use the cargo area, then there really isn't much space in the 5 for anything without significant modification or a custom enclosure. It provides tons of room for such a small 6 seater, but there isn't much spare space for any size sub.

Quick Reply: speaker size