Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!

Search this Thread

Old April-28th-2007, 11:13 PM

fourthmeal is on a distinguished road
Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!

**EDITED 5/1/07**
I am currently working with an NHTSA investigator with this situation, and I need to hear from all of those who have had this happen to them! I am trying to get something BIG going on, and I need your help. PM me ASAP.

Hi guys. What a great day!

Today, while out driving and enjoying the new amps I put in my car, I was heading to a buffet to eat and relax. I was in the right hand lane, about to take a turn, when suddenly the engine compartment erupted with clanging and metal-on-concrete scraping noises! I coasted to a stop, and shut the car down immediately, but I already knew what happened. The Driver's side motor mount sheared off, and dropped the engine out from under the engine bay. The driveshafts, exhaust, intake, wiring...yeah just about everything - is ruined.

I know that Speed 3's have this problem, I just didn't think it would happen to me. In fact, during my first oil change, I had the Mazda service shop check that bolt specifically, because I was afraid of it. I also checked it myself as soon as I heard about it, and noticed that it was tight (from where I could tell.) Apparently, I was very very wrong.

I'll keep this thread updated with how Mazda handles it. Its in their hands now.

Here's PICS!

THE BOLT SNAPPED!!!

now what?

Last edited by fourthmeal; May-1st-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: PICTURES ADDED!! 1st post
Old April-29th-2007, 11:58 AM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
my lord thats almost as bad as the weak engines they put in the MSP's.... When the dealership gets your carback to you the first thing I'd do is swap out all the mounts for aftermarket.. AWR and CPE mae mounts for the 3. That's the way I'd go with it.
Old April-29th-2007, 12:32 PM

maybe I can convince them to just give me my damn money back, so I can buy a different car...

because thats how I feel. If I would have had this happen at elevated speeds, I'd most likely have been killed. I can't tell you how uneasy it makes me feel knowing that. I used to ride motorcycles (and I'll probably buy another one), and I always made damn sure that it was in top running order, so my life wasn't going to be taken by some loose bolt or rusted chain. Same with cars.

I want out.
Old April-29th-2007, 01:23 PM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
If you feel that way you should just take the next step and sue Mazda for a few million dollars. If I had my engine fall out of the car while driving down the road I'd be owning a mazda dealership ( or maybe a porsche dealership)
Old April-29th-2007, 01:32 PM
Spam Czar!!

KrayzieFox is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's the most messed up thing I've heard in a really long time!! I really like the MS3's but not after hearing this. They need to at least issue a recall on that **** and get the cars that are on the road into good working order. This is a brand new car we're talking about here there's absolutely no reason for that. I dunno if I feel too confident with Mazda anymore ..
Old April-30th-2007, 07:02 PM

added pics to first post, so you can see it for yourself!
Old April-30th-2007, 07:11 PM
ivo

ivo is on a distinguished road
damn chinese bolts

no offense. I'm j/k

Does all 3's have this issue or just the speed? Man, I test drove one going ~ 100mph at one time........I can't imagine the picture if that happens at speed like that
Old May-5th-2007, 10:11 PM

xcoldricex is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear - but keep us updated with your progress with the NHTSA investigator!
Old May-5th-2007, 10:28 PM

dentinger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ivo
Does all 3's have this issue or just the speed?
i was just thinking the same thing...
hehe, finally an excuse for getting stronger motor mounts :P
Old May-5th-2007, 11:26 PM

BOOSTD 7 is on a distinguished road
Yea, that's scarry!

I wouldn't give up on the car, see how they deal with it first. I would think they have a plan for a way to upgrade the motor mounts by now.
Old May-6th-2007, 01:42 PM

MyM3 is on a distinguished road
same thing...

i have a 3 also and i was noticing that my motor would shake like theres no tomorrow so i took it in to mazda and sure enough the passenger side motor mount and the rear mount were broken. i love my car but ever since i got it i have had nothing but problems. so far i have had a transmission warrantied out along with a drivers side cv axle at the same time. before 20k miles. an intake manifold had to be warrantied because of a bent valve is what they told me, and finally the two motor mounts. i just rolled over to 40k miles and im just worried that once the warranty is over at 50k how much ill have to spend out of my pocket when stuff keeps braking. if anyone has any tips on if they think i have a lemon for a car let me know please.

thanks
aaron
Old May-9th-2007, 02:40 PM

jones1810 is on a distinguished road
sux

so im really intersted in the ms3 is that the only problem with them and should i worry about my 05 3 2.0 motor mounts
Old May-13th-2007, 10:05 PM

Here's a copy of the repair bill, so you guys can see the new part numbers

Old May-13th-2007, 10:12 PM

BOOSTD 7 is on a distinguished road
So I take it you're sticking with the Speed3? How has the dealership been treating you?

Just an FYI, I don't think it's the motor mount that's the problem here - it's the bolt holding the motor mount down. Would you agree?
Old May-13th-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech/How-To/Northeast Mod

_Kansei_ is on a distinguished road
Something like a lock washer missing if I recall correctly. It's a simple fix, but for some reason Mazda hasn't issued a recall yet even though it's a safety issue I'd say.

Quick Reply: Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!