Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Paint Problems - White '07

Search this Thread

Old October-13th-2006, 03:10 AM

Jester is on a distinguished road
Paint Problems - White '07

Hey guys,

Sold my 2005 RX-8 and bought a 2007 s grand touring 3. Was tired of getting 16mpg in the RX-8.

Anyway, just bought the car a week and a half ago. Its white (not the regular white, but the white with sparkles in it) and I've washed it twice so far. The first time I washed it I noticed some rust looking spots on the paint that I hadn't noticed until I was finished drying it off. I figured I'd get them the next time....next time came around and these spots doubled their presence on my paint and still, regular washing didn't get them off. The spots are located on the trunk lid, roof, hood and appear to be slowly working their way onto the doors.

In an effort to rid myself of these I proceeded to clay bar the car (i've never heard of anyone using a clar bar on a car thats a week and a half old). The clar bar did not work. I tried waxing....didn't work. As a last resort I tried using my fingernail....didn't work.

The car is parked in a garage at home and work. I actually park next to a white 2007 Corvette at work everyday....I checked that cars paint and these rust looking spots don't appear on his car anywhere. My RX-8 never had these spots.

What can/should I do? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and will give them an earful. I know it isnt the dealers fault so I will not get pissed at them, but will ask/demand that the car be fixed.....after investigating these spots I've also noticed several dents in the car that had gone unnoticed at delivery.....can anything be done about these?
Old October-13th-2006, 05:55 AM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
dealer....your car has a paint/rust/corrosion warranty. Take full advantage of it.
Old October-13th-2006, 04:40 PM

Pital is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jester

The car is parked in a garage at home and work. I actually park next to a white 2007 Corvette at work everyday....I checked that cars paint and these rust looking spots don't appear on his car anywhere. My RX-8 never had these spots.
fiberglass doesn't rust lol....but i understand it might be rail dust
Old October-13th-2006, 06:15 PM

I called the Dealer today and they said the same thing...could be Rail Dust....

What the hell is rail dust?
Old October-13th-2006, 09:12 PM

Took the car to the Mazda dealer and showed it to the service manager. He agreed that something is wrong with the paint and suggested that it was rail dust on the car but couldn't be sure.

He said he was going to call the Mazda Rep to schedule an appointment for him to check out the car. Hopefully this will be fixed/resolved. I love this car and if this can't be fixed and leaves permanent damage to the paint I'll be demanding a replacement car.....
Old October-14th-2006, 10:46 AM

Pital is on a distinguished road
its metalic particles that get in the air and land on the cars when they're transported by train. It comes from the trains brakes...
Old October-14th-2006, 08:41 PM

lhsguy721 is on a distinguished road
roddimus, i have spots all over my car that look like little rust spots, but i think it is from tiny sap spots. is this under the paint/corrosion warranty? it probably isn't but i just wanted to check!
Old October-15th-2006, 03:50 PM

icspots is on a distinguished road
If it's rail dust you should be able to get a clay bar to get it off.
Old October-16th-2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by icspots
If it's rail dust you should be able to get a clay bar to get it off.

I already used a clay bar....didn't work. Wax didnt work. Tar Remover didn't work. It rained just about all weekend here and the spots are continuing to multiply. They're like rabbits!!
Old January-8th-2007, 01:36 PM

vibrio is on a distinguished road
This is just a guess, but here goes, in August I think it was, a cargo ship containing around 4000 new mazdas tipped over on its side. I'm wondering if your car was somehow salvaged from that, seawater would explain the rust, and you also mention having several dents on your car, which wouldnt come from rail dust.
Old January-8th-2007, 05:47 PM

Mike518 is on a distinguished road
I clay bar all my new cars just due to rail dust remember its on all colors you just see it more in the white
Old January-8th-2007, 11:01 PM

dentinger is on a distinguished road
IF his car was salvaged, there most likely woulda been water damage on the interior, most likely. and if the cargo ship was on it's side, im pretty sure there would be more then just a couple small dents....

and mazda insisted that they wouldnt sell any of the cars from the accident. the vins from ALL the cars are supposedly on their website, from what i read
Old January-15th-2007, 10:55 AM

Olestra is on a distinguished road
Any word as to what happened to your paint? There is a TSB on paint stains but it's for 04-05 models.