Unwanted noise caused by sticking rear brake calipers? Replacement OEM Mazda Parts?

Search this Thread

Old July-30th-2006, 10:41 PM

aidtwo is on a distinguished road
Unwanted noise caused by sticking rear brake calipers? Replacement OEM Mazda Parts?

Hello. I have a 2003.5 Protege 5 with about 42,000 miles. This car has survived a few winters in Maine. Thus it has been subjected to cold temperatures, and salt used to clear ice/snow from the road ways.

Recently, the rear brakes on this car have been making high pitched noises (while driving but NOT applying the brakes). The noise comes and goes, but when it can be hear it can also be instantly silenced by using the brakes or the emergency brake (engaging either slightly while driving). A Mazda service/dealership looked over this (while the vehicle was being worked on for unrelated items) and said the brake calipers were sticking and causing the noise. They stated that the solution is to lubricate them. They also suggested replacing the pads (about 25% remain) and brake discs as the labor to lubricate the calipers is about the same (the parts, of course, are not!).

I would like to complete these tasks myself (lubricating the capilers, replacing the rear brake pads and discs) with the help of a friend (who is a mechanic) as a learning experience and to save some expenses. Is there a good resource to purchase Mazda OEM parts? Or should I use a local Mazda dealership?

Are there any type of "rebuild" kits for these brakes (including any types of seals, etc.)? Based on the service manual for this vehicle, I do not see references to such items.

Thank you,
-Adrian
Old July-31st-2006, 07:00 PM
Spam Czar!!

KrayzieFox is on a distinguished road
www.protegegarage.com

Contact Ken, see what he can do for ya.