3rd gen Engine/Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1999-2003 Models Only (BJ chassis)

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old March-17th-2006, 08:28 PM
Spam Czar!!

KrayzieFox is on a distinguished road
Automatic Transmission Fluid

What kind should I get? I hit 30K and I want to flush it but I'm not gonna have it hooked up to one of those vacuum machines or anything. I plan on just draining and refilling the fluid.

Should I spend the money and get Redline ($7 a qt. on eBay) or would it do just as much good to get something cheaper? Also, I think I read that the capacity is 6.5 qt ... can anyone verify that?
Old March-19th-2006, 01:54 PM

Rism is on a distinguished road
Its pointless to just drain the oil pan then refill it. Its pretty easy to flush the tranny on your own. Just follow this write up.
http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=94623

I dont know why he says you need 8-12qts. 9qts was plenty for and I even installed a tranny cooler along with it. So I would say 8-9qts is plenty.

Id go all out and get the redline. Our tranny already runs pretty hot and the redline will help with that. I used the Redline D4 ATF on my 30k mile change and it still shifts like butter.
If you use the redline make sure you get D4 ATF thats the kind our trannies need.
Old March-19th-2006, 09:27 PM
Spam Czar!!

I stumbled accross that how-to along the way, but it didn't really mention any specific fluid as being better than the rest. Also, you think following those steps would ensure a proper job? I'm trying to save money as much as possible so if I can avoid having to hook it up to a vac machine that would be great!

Does anyone really know the capacity? I don't have a manual, but from what I've read I found 6.5 qts and 7.6 qts.
Old March-19th-2006, 10:07 PM

Mazdacub is on a distinguished road
I use 8 when i flush it out. Use Redline!!!!
Old March-19th-2006, 10:51 PM

Mazdacub is on a distinguished road
and as far as i know they are just screen door like filter, like a layer on layer of screen. You dont have to replace it but you can remove it and clean it if you want. They do sell replacement screen ones if you want to put one in.
Old March-19th-2006, 11:22 PM
Spam Czar!!

Thanks for verifying the capacity for me Mazdacub. I think I'll go with Redline since it seems to be the preferred choice on both forums. I guess I'm looking at about $60 on eBay ... but I'm probably gonna look around local first and see if I can save myself the shipping cost.