3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Arg! I Can't Get My Dad To Get Me A Mazda Protege5!

Search this Thread

Old March-22nd-2002, 10:19 AM
Indecisive Protege Owner Wannabie

kenji4861 is on a distinguished road
Arg! I Can't Get My Dad To Get Me A Mazda Protege5!

Alright, this battles been going on for a LOOOONG time.

My dad just can not trust Mazda. He's the type that's always been with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. He just never heard of anyone that's a happy mazda buyer.

I first went for the Mitsubishi Lancer, and I thank him for stopping me from buying a Mitsubishi.

Secondly, I considered Mazda Protege ES, he didn't like it either.

Third, I said I wanted Protege5, he didn't like the idea of getting a Mazda.

Fourth, I was looking at all Mazda Protege5, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Matrix.

After a LOOOOONG time, I decided Mazda Protege5 and I talked to him yesterday about it, but again, he says he would like to avoid Mazda.

From being here for a very long time, I'm not sure whether Mazda is a reliable car or not. As of now, I know people are having rattling problems and resale value is not as high as Honda or TOyota.

HOW CAN I CONVINCE MY DAD or MYSELF to believe MAZDA is RELIABLE?!?!?!
Old March-22nd-2002, 10:42 AM
...and loving it!

sunbyrne is on a distinguished road
Grab the latest Consumer Reports, the 2002 car issue. Turn to page 26, CR's "projected reliability" forecast for the 2002 cars. Note the chart on "small cars" where the Protege comes in ahead of the Sentra and the Civic, and roughly the same as the Toyotas that are rated (Echo and Prius--the Corolla isn't rated because the Corolla is a new early 2003 model now).

As for never heard of a happy Mazda buyer, look around these pages and on Edmunds--there are lots of happy Mazda buyers, especially of Proteges. And while some people are reporting rattling problems, well, a rattle isn't a very big problem, and most of us have *not* experienced it.
Old March-22nd-2002, 10:42 AM
Protege God

Identity_X is on a distinguished road
Re: Arg! I Can't Get My Dad To Get Me A Mazda Protege5!

Originally posted by kenji4861
HOW CAN I CONVINCE MY DAD or MYSELF to believe MAZDA is RELIABLE?!?!?!
Show him some first generation Proteges that have over 200,000miles ..............that should tell you that if you take care of it, it will LAST.........................good luck
Old March-22nd-2002, 10:50 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Sporin is on a distinguished road
All it should take is a good look at Consumer Reports. The Protege lineup has been very reliable for many many years. It's built in Japan, of Japanese parts. Civic and Sentra are not.

If it's your money, buy what you want.

If it's your Dad's money, you might be "stuck" getting what he wants. I think if someone was buying me a car, I probably wouldn't bitch too much about it.

You've made your wants known, if he isn't comfortable with the brand, I don't see what you can do to change that.
Old March-22nd-2002, 11:09 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Don M is on a distinguished road
The man with the cash makes up his own mind what he's gonna spend it on

Are you saying he won't let you spend your money on a Protege? Shame on you, Dad!!

If he's buying you the car, sit back and say "thank you very much" when he picks out something he feels safe for you to drive.

If you persuade him to buy something he's not comfortable getting you, and you kill yourself in it, he'll live the rest of his life knowing you wouldn't even of had that particular model (which he never felt comfortable with) in the first place, if he hadn't given in and bought it for you. Surely you wouldn't want to put him in that position.

Don
Old March-22nd-2002, 12:50 PM
Protege Newbie

mleary is on a distinguished road
Some people have it rough... Daddy's buying me a car but he won't buy me a Mazda!!! Have to settle for a Honda
Old March-22nd-2002, 04:15 PM
Speed Racer

Mxyzptlk is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by mleary
Some people have it rough... Daddy's buying me a car but he won't buy me a Mazda!!! Have to settle for a Honda
I feel ya man. Had to slave my way while in college at the damn BK to get up enough $ cash for my first beater. But I can't say Im not a bit jealous... wish my parents weren't po *** *****.
Old March-22nd-2002, 05:58 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Deceptipro is on a distinguished road
Hmm...I wonder if your dad doesn't trust Mazda because of its affiliation with Ford... If it is, then you should point out that so far, all Proteges are Japan made and have little to no Ford designed parts...and definitely no mechanical parts installed or designed by Ford.
Old March-22nd-2002, 06:11 PM

GREAT!

My dad offered me a 2002 Toyota Camry which is REALLY decent. My mom drives one and it's very roomy and luxurious. It's GREAT, but I kinda have some looks attraction to Protege5.

Yea, my dad's paying every penny of this car. He doesn't want me to help since my brother and sister got a car.

GREAT! THat Consumer Report will definitly help. He always tells me to look in Consumer Reports to see that Toyota and Honda is very reliable. I can use this to maybe buy a Protege5.

I'll go buy that issue to show him Mazda is good. and if he says no to Protege5... I'll get the Camry or even the new Corolla.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old March-22nd-2002, 08:03 PM

iroc326 is on a distinguished road
Car

Ok, tell your dad that he doesn't know squat about cars. Let him buy you a nice Buick Century. Then, smash it into a brick wall at 30 mph so that it becomes scrapped...Tell him you smashed it because you felt like the steering wheel was turning on it's own...
Then you'll get a P5.....

Even better, tell him to buy you a nice pick-up!!!!
Honestly, one of the saddest posts yet!!!!
Old March-22nd-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Car

Aww come on. I really appreciate him even buying me a new car. We just gotta work out something he'll accept and I like. Anyways, I just got the issue of the consumer reports. This is evidence that Mazda Protege is doing good in the last 2 years, but also evidence that Honda and Toyota has been reliable for the last 10 years. We'll see how this turns out.

Originally posted by iroc326
Ok, tell your dad that he doesn't know squat about cars. Let him buy you a nice Buick Century. Then, smash it into a brick wall at 30 mph so that it becomes scrapped...Tell him you smashed it because you felt like the steering wheel was turning on it's own...
Then you'll get a P5.....

Even better, tell him to buy you a nice pick-up!!!!
Honestly, one of the saddest posts yet!!!!
Old March-22nd-2002, 08:17 PM
a.k.a. spydermonkey

mnkyboy is on a distinguished road
Re: GREAT!

Originally posted by kenji4861
My dad offered me a 2002 Toyota Camry which is REALLY decent. My mom drives one and it's very roomy and luxurious. It's GREAT, but I kinda have some looks attraction to Protege5.

Yea, my dad's paying every penny of this car. He doesn't want me to help since my brother and sister got a car.

GREAT! THat Consumer Report will definitly help. He always tells me to look in Consumer Reports to see that Toyota and Honda is very reliable. I can use this to maybe buy a Protege5.

I'll go buy that issue to show him Mazda is good. and if he says no to Protege5... I'll get the Camry or even the new Corolla.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Camry??

Yea it may be a nice, luxurious car, but you are young, you dont want a "mom" car! Tell him that you want a car that shows who you are, and obviously the P5 is for you since you say you have an attraction, like most of US!
Old March-22nd-2002, 08:25 PM
a.k.a. spydermonkey

mnkyboy is on a distinguished road
Here is some other good resources for the P5,

Edmunds names the Protege 5 the "Small Station Wagon Under $20,000" Most Wanted. Cross off the Station Wagon part, Edmunds fudged on that one, the P5 is a hatchback!!
here is the link to the article...
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostw...tml?id=lin0257

Do some more research, the Protege is on top of many reliable list.
Old March-22nd-2002, 08:32 PM
"Dirty Dee"

craigrrrp is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: GREAT!

Originally posted by mnkyboy

Camry??

Yea it may be a nice, luxurious car, but you are young, you dont want a "mom" car! Tell him that you want a car that shows who you are, and obviously the P5 is for you since you say you have an attraction, like most of US!
.....thats pretty funny
Old March-22nd-2002, 09:48 PM
...and loving it!

sunbyrne is on a distinguished road
Toyota Camry, official car of middle-aged suburban wives (those who don't drive SUVs).

Quick Reply: Arg! I Can't Get My Dad To Get Me A Mazda Protege5!