1st Gen Protege/323/GLC General/Maintenance Discussion for 1990-1994 Models (BG Chassis) and 1981-1989 GLC/323 Models (BD and BF chassis)

check engine light and random ignition buck

Search this Thread

Old November-25th-2004, 09:49 PM

jonvand is on a distinguished road
check engine light and random ignition buck

Hi Folks,

I have a 1992 Protege (~130k). The plugs and wires, distributor cap, and rotor have all been replaced recently but I am now getting this odd ignition buck. It usually doesn't happen until the engine is warmed up. The check engine light comes on and off when it bucks (usually during acceleration). It seems to happen more in warmer weather but is getting worse and happening more frequently now. Also, it, the check engine light will cycle on and off when I'm idling sometimes. I took it in to get the codes checked and they couldn't find any. It's mostly noticeable during acceleration but also happens with less severity during a constant speed (like on the highway). It went away for a little while when the temperature dropped this fall but it's getting worse again. It's been about 3 months now since it started. The check engine light only blips when the car coughs and bucks--it typically doens't stay on.

Any ideas?
Old November-26th-2004, 04:01 PM

Expert is on a distinguished road
If they can't find any codes to diagnosis the engine, than most likely, it isn't something to do with the engine. My guess is that the car itself has a worn part, and it is from that worn part that you are seeing all of these problems..... However, what it is, I do not know. Most generally, however, if the "check engine" light does come on, it will not come off, unless it is something else that is making the engine react abnormally.
Thats about all I can think off...