3rd gen Engine/Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1999-2003 Models Only (BJ chassis)

Check Engine Light 4th time.

Search this Thread

Old April-19th-2004, 12:26 PM
Protege Enthusiast

P5s_LetsRoll is on a distinguished road
Check Engine Light 4th time.

Explanation: 1st time Car turned over for long time before starting. 10 miles Check Engine light came on and started mis-firing leading to an engine dieing when pushing in clutch and loosing break power and ended up putting car in ditch on shoulder on ice covered road. (No damage done to car)

Solution: Mazda replaced Coil pack, spark plug 1, and spark plug wire 1.

2nd, trip to Chicago from Des moines (300+ miles) Car ran fine… Trip back car starts mis-firing VERY bad. Full tank of gas burned in only 130 miles… Filled up, car ran pretty decent with low power. But Check engine light came on, and would flash @ me between 70-80 mph.

Solution: Mazda got the error code and replaced injector #1

3rd leave dealership and go 5 miles on interstate.. Starts missing again. Take car back to them pissed as hell. I request service manager ride with me to see, and get out on road going like 30 mph and check engine light comes on. He sais there is no need for me to ride with you, you can turn around up here, we’ll have to scan it. They have never felt the car mis-firing @ higher speeds. He obviously didn’t care enough to see what the hell was going on either.. So I take car back and leave it in service AGAIN!! Pissed as hell..

Solution: Got error code and said, they found that the AFTERMARKET air filter was off of Injen intake, and all future problems internally in engine would not be covered because of this. Also the code read dirty MAF Sensor so they cleaned it and replaced filter. So now supposedly I’m screwed on internal engine warranty..

4th – 1500 miles later, check engine light on AGAIN. Underhood and moving throttle body to about 2500-3000rpm and letting off sounds like there is restriction coming from back end of engine (catylatic converter) Still have pretty good power, and decent gas mileage. But I call corporate and they suggest taking it to another dealer which is 100 miles away.

What do you guys think about this? I think it’s BS if you ask me.. This is all in less than 4 weeks.. and my car is nearing 42K miles.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments Please
Old April-19th-2004, 08:50 PM
GNO

GNO is on a distinguished road
Ramsey? I never cared for the service dept. However, their bodyshop is great.

The dirty MAF may be from your intake, if it was in fact dirty. Sometimes the oil from the filter gets onto the MAF. Did performance increase after they cleaned the MAF? You can try cleaning it again. Use something that dries up without a residue, like quick dry electrical contact cleaner. Others use throttle body/carb cleaner. If you can't spray it, use a swab to apply it. Be careful though, because the wire is fairly sensitive. You might need a safety torx bit to access it.

Also, since most of the missfires appear to be in #1, there may be an internal problem w/ that cylinder. Definitely worth the 100mile trip to check it out. I'd call first.

I'd hook you up with a scan, but I don't have a laptop, so all the scanning is done in the garage. Also, I haven't had much free time lately.

Last edited by GNO; April-19th-2004 at 09:04 PM.