3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Noise from 2002 ES

Search this Thread

Old April-27th-2004, 10:06 AM

steveES is on a distinguished road
Noise from 2002 ES

I bought a 2002 ES about a month ago. It only has about 18K km's on it. I like the car a lot, except for an annoying noise coming from the near of the car. It's somewhat infrequent (which is why I didn't notice it on the test drives), but usually happens when I rev up a bit...it sounds like a rattling noise coming from the muffler. I took it to the dealership and they said they checked it all out and that it's "just the resonator". I know little to nothing about cars, but I do know I've never noticed this noise from my folks' 2000 SE. Does anyone else here experience the same noise from their '02 ES, or have any suggestions on what it might be? Is it normal for the resonator to make a rattling/vibrating noise?

Thanks
Old April-27th-2004, 10:10 AM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
no, the resonator is a hollow "muffler" designed to adjust the tone of the exhaust. It has no moving parts or even a heat shield to rattle. Your dealers are full of crap and should be ignored accordingly.

Rule #1...NEVER go to the dealer to do anything but buy a new car....EVER.

Buy an aftermarket cat-back exhaust and enjoy your car!
Old April-27th-2004, 10:44 AM

RipperSnapper is on a distinguished road
I've had 2 rattle noises that I've come across with my P5

#1 the rubber hanger for the muffler was loose causing enough play for the muffler to rattle a bit. This was after my performance exhaust was put on. It was an easy fix. Just simply tightened the bolt.

#2 Is the rear license plate rattles against the licensplate frame. I still have it. I just haven't gone and put any foam tape back there to muffle it yet. I know it sounds weird but it does sound like it could be your exhaust rattling and it happens when I rev up a little.

I hope this helps.
Old April-27th-2004, 11:14 AM

Which aftermarket exhaust system do folks here recommend for an '02 ES sedan? I do not want to spend a lot of money. I also don't want to generate more noise than a stock exhaust would generate....that's just not my style.

Preferably I solve this problem without buying anything though. I'd consider buying something if it improved performance and/or fuel consumption though.
Old April-27th-2004, 11:27 AM

Personally, if you don't want to spend money, I would check that license plate first. Mine doesn't have screws bolted to the bottom of the plate and that causes rattling. Out of the 2 suggestions I feel that that may be the problem.
As for exhaust. I went to a shop called lou's custom exhaust.
Thats all they do...exhaust. I had them cat back my exhaust wit stainless pipe and a bullet muffler. The muffler came with a silencer that quiets it down. However it still is a tad louder than stock just due to the fact its less restrictive.
Old April-27th-2004, 11:36 AM

I actually noticed the problem before I even had my plates...so I doubt the plate is the culprit
Old April-27th-2004, 11:39 AM

Well, then i guess I'm at a loss. Sorry.
Good luck anyways.
Old April-27th-2004, 12:33 PM

goldstar is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by steveES
I actually noticed the problem before I even had my plates...so I doubt the plate is the culprit
Assuming it is your resonator, this is what you can do. Jack up the right rear and put car on a jackstand. The resonator is directly ahead of the muffler and directly behind the 2nd catalytic converter. Check to see that the flange bolts are tight at both ends of the resonator and nothing is hitting the frame anywhere. Also, make sure that the connecting pipes are securely attached to the resonator body. Possibly you may find something loose that is causing the rattling noise.

There should not be a rattling noise but other than inspection, I don't know what else to suggest.

Since you say you know little to nothing about cars, do not go under the car unless it's first supported by a jackstand. Good luck in finding the problem.