3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Tune-up Advice

Old October-29th-2003, 09:27 AM

germanwolf is on a distinguished road
Tune-up Advice

Ok,.. everyone seems to be at some kind of a stand-off as to when some things are supposed to be serviced, so I'm going to put in MY 2 cents worth. Here's what "I" believe should be changed & when. Know that I'm a mechanic in the Army,.. & have a lot of experience behind mec {my dad was a mechanic too}
1> Oil change= every 3k to 3.5k miles
2> Antifreeze/coolant change= Once every year, most likely in late September. {rust & gunk make thrmostats stick too soon if this is not done.}
3> Spark Plugs= Once a year. They're usually pretty cheap anyhow.
4> Spark Plug Wires= The original manufacture ones last 2-3yrs,.. aftermarket last 1-2yrs. Open your hood on a "pitch black" area & start your car, if you see "static electricity" between the wires, that means they're most likely bad. The insulation properties breaks down.
5> Transmission fluid= Once a year for either kind.
6> Brake fluid= Once every 2YRS. EVERYONE neglects this one. Once brake fluid "breaks down" or gets gunked up things never work right.
7> Alternator/generator belt= Once a year. They're cheap enough & easy to change.
8> Air Conditioning= Have purged & checked once every 2-3yrs. I had the worst luck with this lately. My wifes used Honda Prelude had the a/c pump literally blow a chunk out the side of it the size of a coke can. Cost me about 1k $$$ to fix after all was done.
9> Air filter= 8months to a year,.. this depends on where you live mostly.
10> Power steering fluid= every 2yrs. This is another abused area like the brake fluid.

That's about it. Enjoy!