3rd gen Engine/Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1999-2003 Models Only (BJ chassis)

Pro5 Owners with the Sport Shift Auto...

Search this Thread

Old February-11th-2003, 03:41 AM

digitalpro5 is on a distinguished road
Pro5 Owners with the Sport Shift Auto...

I have this option, and well I'm getting a little paranoid about it. If I just leave it be at automatic its fine, no sudden jolts/shaking or what ever when it automatically shifts up and down. Now when I take it to the "manual-mode" I can shift up with out jolts, took some practice (1-2 months of driving it that way), but I'm still having problems shifting down, I get sudden jolts/shaking when I shift it down manually. Now if I let it automatically shift down its fine, and very smooth. I've tried shifting down as what the manual sais to do but eithier the computer will shift down automatically or I do it to quickly and I get a jolt. It only jolts when I mess up shifting down. Lately I'm on the 4th gear and when I need to stop I shift down and I find myself on 2nd gear instead of 3rd and I get that jolt/shaking thing. The jolts/shaking isn't horrible, I think I'm the only one that feels it (passengers don't seem to notice, but I do).

Any suggestions would be helpful. I drive the car on the "manual-mode" mostly because I like being in control when accelerating, its just when I manually shift down that scares me Maybe I should just let the computer shift down for me when I slow and need to take the corners.

Its been more then 3 months now since I've had this car, and well I still haven't mastered shifting down with it
Old February-11th-2003, 07:48 AM
Protege Enthusiast

2Hokee is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you may be downshifting to soon. I've got the sport shift auto and have no problems with it.
Old February-11th-2003, 09:26 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Opus is on a distinguished road
When you downshift, are you letting off the gas first? Maybe you're not giving enough gas during the shift and getting too much engine braking.
Old February-11th-2003, 02:17 PM
Protege Newbie

poktrokt is on a distinguished road
I've had no problems with my shift action. I had to learn to gas it a bit when downshifting to keep from having too much engine braking but it works well. I especially like it in traffic. If you still cant get it smooth, I would take it in and get it looked at.
Old February-11th-2003, 03:15 PM

digitalpro5 is on a distinguished road
Ok so I should not let off the gas? I'll try that out cause I do let off the gas. So I should keep my foot on the gas while downshifting and once I'm at the gear I want I should be letting the gas off?
Old February-13th-2003, 04:10 PM
Protege Newbie

poktrokt is on a distinguished road
yeah, thats how I do it. Seems to really make things smoother when driving.