3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

"Brake" light stays on in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old February-9th-2003, 08:30 PM
GNO

GNO is on a distinguished road
"Brake" light stays on in cold weather

During hard stops in cold weather, the "Brake" light on my gauge cluster has been coming on. I realize the light comes on when ABS engages, but occasionally it will come on and stay on. It won't shut off until I shut down the car and restart. Several of the hard stops were on dry pavement and were not hard enough for ABS to activate, yet the light came on. It's mainly in very cold weather, low 30s F its fine, however when in the teens the light likes to come on.

I haven't had a chance to hook it up to a scanner to see if any codes were set. I checked the brake fluid level and it was fine. I check to see if and calipers were binding, fine there too. Although it was while in my garage and not under the cold conditions where I've been having the light stick. What should I check next? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene
Old February-9th-2003, 08:33 PM
Boost!

Ambient is on a distinguished road
I'm assuming you mean the Emergency brake light. You may have a faulty EBrake sensor
Old February-9th-2003, 09:03 PM
GNO

It's the same light. When you engage the parking/emergency brake or when ABS is activated, that light comes on.

I'll look into the sensor though. Thanks.
Old February-9th-2003, 09:23 PM
Certified Sick Individual

kc5zom is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't be seeing that light while driving. Something is wrong with the braking system. Take it in.
Old February-9th-2003, 09:34 PM
Boost!

Ambient is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by kc5zom
You shouldn't be seeing that light while driving. Something is wrong with the braking system. Take it in.
Agreed, must be nice to have a warranty
Old February-9th-2003, 11:19 PM
Protege Enthusiast

browntrout is on a distinguished road
Need new pads

The emergency brake light also doubles for a low level brake fluid light. When it is cold, the brake fluid must reduce in volume which trips the sensor. Anyways, your brake pads are probably almost due for a change and probably your rotors as well. I had the excact same problem as well when it started to get cold up here in Canada. I thought it might have been a problem with the emergency brake or braking system so I took it to the dealer.

Since it wasn't a warranty issue, just a brake replacement thing, they charged me 25 bucks or some **** like that. It was quite annoying. They said they would give me a 25$ credit if they were going to do the brake job. No way, It was over 300 bucks + tax CDN$ for new front pads, installationg, machining the rotors, and cleaning the rear brakes. I probably could have got it down to 200 bucks for just changing the front pads but it cost me 60 bucks to do it myself.
Old February-9th-2003, 11:20 PM
Protege Enthusiast

GSweetZ is on a distinguished road
top the fluid in the brake reservoir... from past mazda engine experience(ford probe) the brake warning light goes on very easily.. it may just be that your brakes are getting worn down and you need to top up the fluid in the reservoir... it may look full but its not full enough

umm yeah just follow what browntrout said.. i guess i was a minute too slow to post.. hehe

Last edited by GSweetZ; February-9th-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old February-10th-2003, 07:46 AM
Dr. AutoLock

ry_clark is on a distinguished road
Same thing happen here! I went and got new pads all around then installed them! What do you know the light went off. My warning scrapers where touching the rotors on the inside pad only? They must have some kind of warning light for your pad wear also along with the fluid levels. I checked my fluid when I did all the pads and it was level. I was at 32,400 miles
Old February-10th-2003, 07:55 AM
JJB
Protege Owner

JJB is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by ry_clark
They must have some kind of warning light for your pad wear also along with the fluid levels.
that's highly unlikely, just that when the pads wear down the fluid level in the reservoir drops.

Originally posted by GSweetZ
top the fluid in the brake reservoir...
I would do this only after you are sure that your pads are not the culprit. Usually a low level indicates that there is something odd in the brake system that needs to be addressed.

Originally posted by browntrout
The emergency brake light also doubles for a low level brake fluid light. When it is cold, the brake fluid must reduce in volume which trips the sensor. Anyways, your brake pads are probably almost due for a change and probably your rotors as well. I had the excact same problem as well when it started to get cold up here in Canada. I thought it might have been a problem with the emergency brake or braking system so I took it to the dealer.

Since it wasn't a warranty issue, just a brake replacement thing, they charged me 25 bucks or some **** like that. It was quite annoying. They said they would give me a 25$ credit if they were going to do the brake job. No way, It was over 300 bucks + tax CDN$ for new front pads, installationg, machining the rotors, and cleaning the rear brakes. I probably could have got it down to 200 bucks for just changing the front pads but it cost me 60 bucks to do it myself.
damn! that is excessive... I really do not know why the dealers insist on turning the rotors each and every time... oh wait, yes I do. Profit!
Old February-10th-2003, 07:58 AM
GNO

hmmmm replace or upgrade? Looks like I've got some shopping to do

The 55,000 miles (5k out of warranty) are mainly hiway, so pads should be good. I might just top off for now . . . just have to be sure to drain some fluid before I do change the pads. The reservoir in the P5 appeared to have a fill line. When I checked the fluid, it was above the line. Most all my other vehicles were simply topped off. I take it that fill line is the "low limit" then.

Thanks a bunch fellas,
Gene