3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

HVAC Fan Rumble

Search this Thread

Old January-4th-2003, 06:59 AM

mantis is on a distinguished road
HVAC Fan Rumble

Yesterday morning when I started up my car and turned on the defroster, I noticed that my HVAC fan is making a very noticeable rumble. I have had the car for 15 months since new and this is the first time I have had this problem. The higher the fan speed, the louder the rumble. The car is going to the dealership on Monday. Any one else experience this? I did a SEARCH and saw that someone else had noticed this problem previously with their car, but didn't seem to get an answer. I know the fan in our cars is relatively noisy, but this rumble which started yesterday is very pronounced. It sounds either like a bearing could be going or the blade is somehow out of alignment and rubbing on something.
Old January-4th-2003, 08:26 AM
Chuck's Blue P5

chuck is on a distinguished road
It is because it is working harder to pull air from outside

Was the vent outside in front of window covered with snow?

Switch the controls to circulation, amazing sound goes away right?

I noticed this too!
Old January-4th-2003, 09:20 AM
JJB
Protege Owner

JJB is on a distinguished road
The fan in my car has developed a "grind" to it when I first turn it on, there is either something in there hitting the blades or the bearing is going for some reason. As it does it worse when it is cold out and has been getting worse week to week I am suspecting a bad fan.

In either case it is soon going back to the dealer as this is certainly under warranty.
Old January-4th-2003, 09:48 AM

Re: It is because it is working harder to pull air from outside

Originally posted by chuck

Was the vent outside in front of window covered with snow?

Switch the controls to circulation, amazing sound goes away right?

I noticed this too!

There is no snow in the vent, as the car stays in a garage. Switching the fan to recirculation does nothing. It is going into the dealer on Monday; I will keep people posted as to what the problem is, in case the problem may arise on their cars.
Old January-4th-2003, 09:59 AM
Master of All Things :{D

Sir Nuke is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by JJB
The fan in my car has developed a "grind" to it when I first turn it on, there is either something in there hitting the blades or the bearing is going for some reason. As it does it worse when it is cold out and has been getting worse week to week I am suspecting a bad fan.

In either case it is soon going back to the dealer as this is certainly under warranty.
I have had this happen before on cars...and what had happened was a small stick made its way through the grating/vent in front of the windshield and made its way to the fan...had leaves do the same thing...and it sorta sounded like a playing card on the spokes of a bike.....just turned the fan up to full speed till it broke off! lol then it was all quiet again.
Old January-4th-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Sir Nuke

I have had this happen before on cars...and what had happened was a small stick made its way through the grating/vent in front of the windshield and made its way to the fan...had leaves do the same thing...and it sorta sounded like a playing card on the spokes of a bike.....just turned the fan up to full speed till it broke off! lol then it was all quiet again.
I thought about that. After running the fan on 3 for 2 hours yesterday on the way out to my parents place, it still makes the sound. It doesn't exactly sound like playing card in spokes sound, though. More of a rumble. Time will tell when my Mazda dealership puts their mokeys on the job.
Old January-4th-2003, 10:39 AM

I do think it is either a broken fan or a misaligned fan as a bearing problem would reveal itself fairly quickly with dire results, especially considering how often the fan is kept running in the winter.
Old January-6th-2003, 08:55 AM
Hu Flung Pu

LOS-323 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Sir Nuke

And then you had little pieces of leaves stuck to the evaporator of your AC unit. I think those should be cleaned regularly (like once a year maybe?). I had to replace mine recently because so much stuff accumulated in it (lint, pieces of leaves, dog hair, a bug, etc.), that it eventually rusted and leaked the gas out.
Old January-6th-2003, 09:10 PM
Protege Newbie

atomic is on a distinguished road
I noticed the "rumble" in my car HVAC a few months ago, it wasn't a grinding noise, more like a bass-y drone behind the fan sound. The noise has gone away!? I've been running the heat/fan alot cuz its been cold here. The sound is now what you would expect noise-wise.
Old January-7th-2003, 12:10 AM

I had my car into the dealer to look at the fan rumble; it did turn out to be just a few small leaves inside the fan motor cage. The dealer did the work under warranty and said there has been a large number of Proteges/P5s that have been in for this problem. My wife and I just moved into our new house recently, so it shouldn't be a problem now because it is a brand new house and no big trees (yet); the leaves were from parking near a couple of trees at the old place. Even though I always cleared the heater intake off when there was leaves and debris on it, the dealer says that the Proteges are fairly susceptable to this.

Last edited by mantis; January-8th-2003 at 07:02 AM.
Old January-7th-2003, 05:26 AM
Chuck's Blue P5

chuck is on a distinguished road
Thanks for telling us what was wrong!

Thanks for telling us what was wrong!