1st Gen Protege/323/GLC General/Maintenance Discussion for 1990-1994 Models (BG Chassis) and 1981-1989 GLC/323 Models (BD and BF chassis)

tune up issues

Search this Thread

Old December-10th-2002, 07:26 PM
Protege Enthusiast

brogeflog is on a distinguished road
Angry tune up issues

I just did a basic tune-up on the pro i.e. oil change, pcv valve, air filter, cap and rotor, plugs, rotate tires. I was fortunate to have the use of the country club's (work) maintenance barn equiped with a lift and all of the finest tools as well as heat.

Anyway, as this was my first venture under the hood with this car I was feeling my way around and getting things done until the last plug wire. I had trouble getting the others off until the last one (#1). The tug of war ensued and the plug wire won leaving the end still attached and me on my *** holding what remained of the number one wire. DOH!!!!!!!!! I spliced everything back together and wrapped it with electrical tape. I jumped in turned the key and prayed. She started! I made it home and to the auto parts store for new wires.

I thought I would share a true operator error story. Nothing ever seems to go as planned when you get under the hood.
Old December-11th-2002, 02:24 AM
formerly chastan

UCSBgeek is on a distinguished road
Haha! That's pretty crazy. I think it would run with 3 cylinders, just slow as hell, and maybe a backfire or two!

Fortunately the Toyota dealer who sold it to me put some pretty good NGK wires on there for me. Probably to hide the fact that it could really use a tune up. lol
Old December-11th-2002, 11:32 AM
Protege Enthusiast

ManuelGz is on a distinguished road
Yeap, I don't know about you but every time I go there I fix something and break something else !
Old December-12th-2002, 12:00 PM
Protege Enthusiast

brogeflog is on a distinguished road
It tore right in the middle of the boot. I really thought I was winning. It's a shame. The wires looked to be in great shape.