Wierd brake noise I think.

Search this Thread

Old September-21st-2002, 06:57 PM
Protege Progasm

redrims is on a distinguished road
Wierd brake noise I think.

Okay, about 4 weeks ago I started hearing these wierd squeaky/scratching noise and I think they're coming from my rotors. I really don't know. They don't make noise when I press the brakes, but stops with a high pitch squeak when I do press the brakes. This only happens when I drive my car for long periods of time like about a hour and a 1/2. I guess it happens when it gets hot. It really makes noise when I turn the wheel sharply and driving slowly under 20mph. It's extremely annoying and loud. I took it to the dealership and they said everything was fine. When they set me up for a road test, by the time there ready the car has been sitting for a long time and I guess it cools off. Also at high speeds on the highway, when I press on the brakes, hard or soft, it makes a quick squeaking noise then stops.
Also, when drivng at a slow pace, there is a constant sqeak. It seems like it happens anytime the wheel rotates. The the squeak gradually increase as I increase my speed then stops at around 20mph. I've been trying to observe it so I can explain it better to the dealership, but there no help. I'm going to try and take it again. I hope someone can help me and can understand how I explained it. I'm tired of it.
Old September-21st-2002, 11:00 PM
Hoosier daddy?

kcbhiw is on a distinguished road
Have you checked your pads? What kind of wear do they have? It may be possible that your calipers may be fully releasing therefore contact between the pad and rotor remain (the noise would be more prominant at lower speeds). That being the case, the pad could be totally worn and you're hearing the wear indicator. Check your pads first of all.
Old September-23rd-2002, 01:46 AM
Protege Progasm

Actually I was thinking the same thing at first, but I just change my pads just over a month ago.
Old September-23rd-2002, 05:06 AM
OWNZ A P5

JDMstuff is on a distinguished road
Check to make sure that the dust shields aren't rubbing against the hub. You'll have to remove your wheel and bend them back in towards the car by hand.
Old September-23rd-2002, 09:44 AM
Protege Progasm

Okay. I'll try that. I just don't know how soon I can get to it since I'm in school. Thanks, I'll let you know when I do it.

Anyone else with solutions.
Old September-23rd-2002, 07:52 PM
Hoosier daddy?

kcbhiw is on a distinguished road
The sooner the better. Problems with brakes only get worse. The longer you go with the problem, the faster it gets worse.
Old October-13th-2002, 09:48 PM
Protege Progasm

Originally posted by JDMstuff
Check to make sure that the dust shields aren't rubbing against the hub. You'll have to remove your wheel and bend them back in towards the car by hand.
Okay, I finally did it and it's still doing it. I'm about to go back to the dealership and complain like a b*tch. They keep telling me that nothing is wrong. I think they keep running me in circles because I only have a few thousand miles before my warranty ends.
Old October-13th-2002, 10:52 PM

carguycw is on a distinguished road
Did you turn the rotors (or replace them) when you did the pads?

Squeaks like this can sometimes be caused by the wear pattern on the rotors. All disk brakes inherently drag a little bit, always, and if the rotors have just the right wear pattern, it can cause a constant squeal.

Try these steps, in order:
1) Perform 8-10 consecutive hard stops from 50-60 mph; get the brakes really stinking hot. Then perform 5-6 more stops, and drive the car around for a while (preferably on the highway) until the brakes cool off. The point of this exercise is to change the wear pattern by heating up the rotors.
2) Slather lots of anti-sqeaul on the pads. This stuff is a rubbery goo that's usually sold at auto parts store in tubes; it's generally bright blue. (Don't ask me why. ). This will sometimes fix sqeauls.
3) Replace or turn the rotors. You may want to combine this with Step 2 because you'll be pulling the pads anyway.
4) Get different brake pads. Some brands of brake pads (commonly cheap generic parts-store replacements) always sqeaul on some cars because the manufacturers use the same friction material for all sorts of different vehicles. Replace them with a different brand.
5) If none of these steps work, turn up the radio.

Good luck!
Old October-14th-2002, 03:25 AM
Protege Progasm

Originally posted by carguycw
Did you turn the rotors (or replace them) when you did the pads?

Squeaks like this can sometimes be caused by the wear pattern on the rotors. All disk brakes inherently drag a little bit, always, and if the rotors have just the right wear pattern, it can cause a constant squeal.

Try these steps, in order:
1) Perform 8-10 consecutive hard stops from 50-60 mph; get the brakes really stinking hot. Then perform 5-6 more stops, and drive the car around for a while (preferably on the highway) until the brakes cool off. The point of this exercise is to change the wear pattern by heating up the rotors.
2) Slather lots of anti-sqeaul on the pads. This stuff is a rubbery goo that's usually sold at auto parts store in tubes; it's generally bright blue. (Don't ask me why. ). This will sometimes fix sqeauls.
3) Replace or turn the rotors. You may want to combine this with Step 2 because you'll be pulling the pads anyway.
4) Get different brake pads. Some brands of brake pads (commonly cheap generic parts-store replacements) always sqeaul on some cars because the manufacturers use the same friction material for all sorts of different vehicles. Replace them with a different brand.
5) If none of these steps work, turn up the radio.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I've already tried 2,3, and 5. With #5, the thing is on campus there are always a lot of people waliking around and when it squeaks, even though I can't here it, I can tell its loud by seeing people turn around and I know there not turning around because of the beautiful sound of the magnaflow exhaust.

I'll try the other tips, but I think I'll just change my pads again and turn my rotors. The last time I changed them was in August.