3rd gen Engine/Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1999-2003 Models Only (BJ chassis)

Suggestions for aftermarket clutch

Search this Thread

Old September-21st-2002, 12:57 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Carlos is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for aftermarket clutch

I have a serious case of clutch chatter on my 2002 P5. Usually on the first clutch use of the day when Im normally driving off from a stop, a horrendous bouncing/chattering/cracking/gnashing of teeth situation starts to unfold. Without clutching back in immediately, Im sure the engine and tranny would go their seperate ways. Im planning on taking it in to the dealer, as it seems this problem is not unheard of on other Pros (see "bunny hopping" thread). However Im fully expecting the runaround on getting a resolution to this from the dealer, as it doesnt happen when the engine is warm (I"ll give them a chance though).

If that is the case, then I probably will be looking at getting an aftermarket clutch. Im not going to let a clutch (or engine mounts, or poor off idle fuel calibration...I digress) get in the way of this cars right to greatness. Plus it would be nice to have a good clutch should Santa bring me a turbo...

Anyway, does anyone know of a good manufacturer of aftermarket clutches. Im not looking for a racing clutch, just a better street clutch that will allow good smooth engagement. I dont really care if the pedal feel is a bit stiffer being since the current has about 3 ounces of resistance.

So can anyone give me any recommendations.
Old September-21st-2002, 08:37 AM

eltonr is on a distinguished road
You know my old 86 626 suffered from that bunny hop thing when it was icy or rainy.....I thought it was just my crappy car...but now i noticed that my new protege does that too.....but only when it's rainy....so i'm starting to think that i'm a really manual driver or this is just common place on mazda cars.......if it common place you think that some one would have complained to them by now and they would have fixed the problem...oh well.

I'm not sure if Centerforce makes a clutch for the prot but those are pretty nice.....actually i'm sure they must...if they don't i 'm sure they will
Old September-22nd-2002, 07:17 PM
Protege Enthusiast

mtbfreak40 is on a distinguished road
clutch

look at ACT clutches, they make a kit for the protege. if your gonna get a new clutch and plan on getting a turbo, you should probably also get a lighter flywheel installed at the same time. www.srmotorsports.com has a nice deal on a clutch/flywheel.
Old September-22nd-2002, 07:55 PM
Always Flippin The Game

LinuxRacr is on a distinguished road
Get an ACT clutch. GO here for info.

I have the street kit with enough holding force for 260 ft/lbs of torque.

Last edited by LinuxRacr; September-22nd-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old September-22nd-2002, 10:14 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I've just read about some MP3 guys using the Clutchmasters street clutch, anyone here have any thougths on that brand?
Old September-24th-2002, 12:10 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Another question for those using ACT clutches. I looked at their website and they seem to have a lot of option combinations with pressure plates and clutch disks. Are you guys using the heavy duty pressure plate (the model that is the lowest pressure) or some the heavier plates with the street disc.

Im wondering how much heavier the clutch action on the pedal is, versus stock, using the HD plate. Also do you guys think going with the next higher pressure plate (combined with the street disk) is overkill, or if it is doable for everyday driving.

Thanks for any input.
Old September-24th-2002, 01:29 PM
Always Flippin The Game

LinuxRacr is on a distinguished road
Check My signature for what I am using.