Exterior/Interior/Audio Discussion for Exterior/Interior Modifications. Sound systems, body kits, etc.

need help w/ 2002 protege stereo wiring

Search this Thread

Old September-9th-2002, 09:07 PM
Protege Newbie

fyr145 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation need help w/ 2002 protege stereo wiring

Is there anyone that can help me with the wiring color codes for the factory stereo pin on a 2002 mazda protege DX model? My wife has the basic factory 3in1 stereo and i got her the factory 6 disc unit. The stereos are the same size wise and they both fit perfectly, but the wiring plugs are very different, I cut the existing plug off because i was given a new plug for the six disk unit, but the darn plug wires dont match up!!

can anyone please help me? i need help right away, the wife is kinda mad at me for not being able to finish the job and she now has no tunes.

Thx so much

fyr145
Old September-9th-2002, 10:21 PM
Protege Owner

1st MP3 in NH is on a distinguished road
where both built for 2002 mazda proteges? Not knowing the wiring colors I can't help you that way. But you can get a aftermarket stereo wiring adapter and use it to determin the stock radios colors.

Also it comon in toyotas but I haven't seen it in mazdas yet sometimes about a foot down the line the wiring plug goes through a factory adapter. It possible but a long shot.

If your not hard set on doing it yourself a local stereo shop will probably do it for 60 bucks.

What do the 2 wiring plugs look like? 2 piece or 1 peice? Does one have protruding wires or a removable plug.
Old September-9th-2002, 10:37 PM
Protege Newbie

Originally posted by 1st MP3 in NH
where both built for 2002 mazda proteges? Not knowing the wiring colors I can't help you that way. But you can get a aftermarket stereo wiring adapter and use it to determin the stock radios colors.

Also it comon in toyotas but I haven't seen it in mazdas yet sometimes about a foot down the line the wiring plug goes through a factory adapter. It possible but a long shot.

If your not hard set on doing it yourself a local stereo shop will probably do it for 60 bucks.

What do the 2 wiring plugs look like? 2 piece or 1 peice? Does one have protruding wires or a removable plug.
The new stereo has 2 removable plugs, the old stereo has only one. The new stereo came with these plugs but not all of them are labeled. I need to find out what the wiring scheme is to both sides. The old stereo has about 13 wires with various colors, but the new stereo doesnt have the same matching colors. Both stereos have the word mazda on them and they are double din units.
Old September-9th-2002, 10:45 PM
Protege Owner

I am going to check on the exact model numbers but basicly the new 6 disc deck is wired for the old mazda standard that changed in 2001 for the proteges. The stock one has the new standard. Done worry with some but connectors they can be replaced. Get an after market stereo adapter for a new protege and an old one. 1 is 2 peice, the old, and the new is one. You can compare your pluge with the adapter and the adapters tell you which wire is which and you can return them later. I would't have cut off that harness if I was you but to later. JUST DONT DO THAT AGAIN.
Old September-9th-2002, 11:06 PM
Protege Owner

I can only find the old mazda adapter number which is Metra 70-7901 or Scosche or MA02
Old September-9th-2002, 11:19 PM
Protege Newbie

I can only find the old mazda adapter number which is Metra 70-7901 or Scosche or MA02
so scoche has it for me?
Old September-9th-2002, 11:26 PM
Protege Owner

It the older mazda adapter that will fit, if I'm right into the new 6 disc changer you bought. The adapter tells you what wire is what so you will be able to tell what are the speakers and ect on the new 6 disc. If you can get the new mazda adapter it will also have those colors so you can compare and determine which wire is which on each unit.
Old September-9th-2002, 11:37 PM
Protege Newbie

Unhappy

It the older mazda adapter that will fit, if I'm right into the new 6 disc changer you bought. The adapter tells you what wire is what so you will be able to tell what are the speakers and ect on the new 6 disc. If you can get the new mazda adapter it will also have those colors so you can compare and determine which wire is which on each unit.
so where do i get this adapter at???

This is so confusing...............

I got the connectors with the new 6disk unit, that one fits just fine. but not all the wires are labeled. My harness in the car doesnt have any lettering on it at all. I need something that will show me which wires go to what from the 6disk to the factory harness.

I checked Scoches' site, they dont have the new mazda plug for that yet. I guess i'll need to splice into the wire, thats why I cut them.

Last edited by fyr145; September-9th-2002 at 11:42 PM.
Old September-10th-2002, 12:38 AM
Protege Owner

you need the aftermarket adapter for each unit. A local stereo installation shop will carry the adapters also. the 2 adapters have identical colors for wire functions. Grey front right speaker, white is front left, purple is rear right, green is rear left, Blue is power antenna, red is ignition, yellow is constant power, and black is ground. Plug the 2 adapters you'll buy into each plug you have, the cut off on and the the one for the 6 disc and label the wires in the car and the 6 disc accordingly then you can connect them together and return the adapters, tell them they were the wrong ones. If you cut the adapters they won't take them back.

Being an installer for tweeter I suggest if you have never even installed a radio before that you take it to a good shop. The price won't be bad and will save you an afternoon.

If you can take soem good pictures of the two units backs and plugs and email them to me I will try to help you better from there.

cwiley@viewcom.com
Old September-10th-2002, 08:50 AM
Protege Newbie

Ok, let me see what i can do.

I'll check my local stereo shop for the connectors, if they cant help me, i'll take some pics for you and email them.

I'll be back

Thx
Old September-11th-2002, 07:51 PM
Protege Enthusiast

pollax is on a distinguished road
I assume you cut off the harness coming from the dash?? If that is the case then there is no point in buying an adaptor.

All you need if the wiring diagrams for the harness in the dash and the harness from the new 6 disc changer and splice the wires together.

If you didn't cut off the connector at the dash, you could have bought an adapor that would fit into that connector and it would have all the wires marked for you.
Old September-11th-2002, 07:58 PM
Protege Newbie

Unhappy argh.......

Yes I cut off the harness, the connector on the harness would not fit into my 6 disk unit. My 6 disk unit came with the connector for it, but there is no lettering on the wiring harness wires, so I cant tell what goes where. I've seen a couple of different diagrams, but each of them are differrent so I dont know which one to believe...i'm concerned that if i mess up I could possibly end up frying that new 6 disk.

Can you give me a diagram of the correct wiring from the 6 disk to the '02 harness? Anyone?