Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!

Search this Thread

Old May-14th-2007, 05:46 PM

fourthmeal is on a distinguished road
yes, and yes.

I'm sticking with the car, but I'm still in contact w/ the Investigators, because it may help others too. My dealership (especially my service writer) did exactly the right thing. They fixed it in record time, and in fact had me down for only a couple days. Too fast for me to even be mad at them, honestly. I was overjoyed when I took the car back, everything was perfect.

The car hasn't missed a shift yet, and feels 100% more solid and in control, as compared to when I purchased it. The simple act of keeping the engine in alignment with the car means a whole lot, it seems. Who would have thought it?
Old May-16th-2007, 03:01 AM

brody8877 is on a distinguished road
Damn, sorry to hear that. Is this common for the MS3?
Old May-16th-2007, 10:12 AM

BOOSTD 7 is on a distinguished road
Really glad to hear it! I love hearing about Mazda dealers that handle things the right way.
Old May-22nd-2007, 12:18 PM

ceejay is on a distinguished road
K, this is interesting. I have had a vibration so I got all my wheels balanced...better but still there. I saw a service bulletin Re: body vibration having to do w/ the motor mounts...I'm off warranty (2004 3 w/ 67,000 mi). How much does it cost to replace the mounts?
Old May-22nd-2007, 02:40 PM

hiat is on a distinguished road
How often are you rotating your tires? If you wait longer than normal 5,000 - 7,000 to rotate your tires, you'll feel a vibration in them. I waited about 20,000 to rotate my factory tires and I noticed the vibration right off the bat and they told me it would effect the smoothness of the tire.
I know the 3's are a little touchy when it comes to tire rotation. It's nice for me that the local tire shop I got my tires from has a free lifetime rotation on them.
I'd get the mounts checked out to feel safe though.
Old May-24th-2007, 07:11 AM

ceejay is on a distinguished road
I bought the car w/9,000 on it... didn't rotate and neither did the original owner...fronts were bald at 20,000 (I'm bad I work pretty much 7 days a week driving 500 miles a week +/- hardly ever look at my car).

I replaced the oem Goodyears w/ two new Conti pro contacts, kept the oem Goodyears on the back, replaced those those spring with new Conti's. New on the front, one year olds on the back (I run blizaks in the winter). So my rotation is admittedly messed.

I have a service bulletin on tire balancing too. I'm thinking I'll have the mounts checked and balancing checked again before my track day at the Glen in August.

My major question is: Is this motor mount problem (failures) limited to the speed 3's or are we seeing it in the regular 3's too.

Last edited by ceejay; May-24th-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old May-26th-2007, 06:03 AM

budk11 is on a distinguished road
Question Do the '07s have this problem?

Or has Mazda dealt with this problem in their production of the '07s? I just got one this week, and this post scares the ***** out of me!
Old May-26th-2007, 06:34 PM

you should be good to go on any car made after feb.
Old May-26th-2007, 06:43 PM

budk11 is on a distinguished road
That's a relief, I think. I'll check the production date. Fingers crossed.
Old May-31st-2007, 11:21 AM

LIandy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by budk11
Or has Mazda dealt with this problem in their production of the '07s? I just got one this week, and this post scares the ***** out of me!
I just bought a Mazda 3 S Touring this weekend and this is not good news to hear. Do I have anything to worry about? Could this happen to me?
Old May-31st-2007, 03:25 PM

in a word,...NO.

This is regarding the MS3, not a regular 3. The torque of the turbo engine is why they redesigned it. And then, after this, RE-redsigned it.

Regular 3's have their own problems...
Old June-16th-2007, 07:59 AM

chas is on a distinguished road
Looks like it's happened to me too

Last night I was just turning the corner on a side street near the mall here in Austin and whammo, something dropped and a whole lotta noise! Searching the web this morning I find this. It sure sounds the same. 2007 Mazdaspeed3. Only 2995 miles on it.

Had it towed to Mazda late in the day and no one's looked at it yet. Looking underneath all I can see is what looks like maybe CV joint failed. But who knows what really happened.

Imagine if I'd been going down the freeway instead of turning the corner on a side street. Holy crap!

Will post again when I know more.
Old June-16th-2007, 09:26 AM

Active3s is on a distinguished road
WOW, I guess I need to check mine..
well, once I get the turbo
Old June-16th-2007, 09:39 AM

xcoldricex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chas
Last night I was just turning the corner on a side street near the mall here in Austin and whammo, something dropped and a whole lotta noise! Searching the web this morning I find this. It sure sounds the same. 2007 Mazdaspeed3. Only 2995 miles on it.

Had it towed to Mazda late in the day and no one's looked at it yet. Looking underneath all I can see is what looks like maybe CV joint failed. But who knows what really happened.

Imagine if I'd been going down the freeway instead of turning the corner on a side street. Holy crap!

Will post again when I know more.
Sorry to hear! Hope everything works out at the dealer

If its the same issue, PLEASE report it to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration) to help us all out. Be sure to properly document everything and include your VIN number in the process so Mazda will put out a technical service bulletin and fix the issue for all of us speed3 owners.

Last edited by xcoldricex; June-16th-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old June-17th-2007, 05:13 PM

chas is on a distinguished road
Following up with pics

Here are some pictures with the hood up. You can definitely see that the whole engine has fallen down and forward.

One of the pictures was from me just reaching under and snapping one underneath. I'm not sure exactly what it's of. Feel free to suggest, but you can see that things have clearly become disconnected underneath.
Attached Thumbnails Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!-car-012-small-.jpg   Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!-car-013-small-.jpg   Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!-car-014-small-.jpg   Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!-car-018-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another One Bites the Dust! - Motor Mount Failure = Oh Noes!