Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Mazda 3 cranks normaly, but will NOT start

Old October-28th-2010, 07:25 AM

LibertyMazda3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mazda 3 cranks normaly, but will NOT start

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Mazda 3i, 2.0L. I bought it new and have loved it everyday since.

Recently I filled it with gas, ran some errands and parked it. Since then it will not start. Everything is cranking normally and sounds fine. There are no indicator lights on or blinking.

I pulled the plugs and can smell gas there. I used a good light and looked in to the cylinder and it looks wet so I am sure I have fuel, but it appears I am not getting spark?

It makes no sense to me that I would loose all 4 coil packs at once, I could see one failing and causing a mis-fire... What is the correct way to check the coil pack?

Am I missing something any other suggestions???
Old October-28th-2010, 11:16 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
Surely you didn't fill it with diesel, think it would actually run if that was the case but i'm not sure.

You can get a set of plugs, pull the coil packs, and verify if you are getting spark. I'd leave the stock plugs in place so you don't spray fuel all over the place with a potential spark nearby.

All I can think of would be a sensor that's not allowing it to start, but that should set the CEL and you said there's no lights on.... May want to verify with a tool that there are no codes set, since doesn't the check engine light (CEL) stay on until the engine starts?? so you may not be able to tell.
Old October-28th-2010, 03:54 PM

Nope, no Diesel. I will get some plugs are verify Spark. Any idea where the control / power for the coils come form or how to verify if they are okay?
Old October-31st-2010, 11:48 AM

Okay, I found the issue. See the link below to the Mazda service notice on this issue. I would recommend anyone in an area with winter snow and salt used on the roads be sure they have the stock skid plate installed.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...7-08-1960a.pdf
Old April-18th-2011, 06:39 PM

rsx type s is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LibertyMazda3
Hi All,

I have a 2006 Mazda 3i, 2.0L. I bought it new and have loved it everyday since.

Recently I filled it with gas, ran some errands and parked it. Since then it will not start. Everything is cranking normally and sounds fine. There are no indicator lights on or blinking.

I pulled the plugs and can smell gas there. I used a good light and looked in to the cylinder and it looks wet so I am sure I have fuel, but it appears I am not getting spark?

It makes no sense to me that I would loose all 4 coil packs at once, I could see one failing and causing a mis-fire... What is the correct way to check the coil pack?

Am I missing something any other suggestions???
" cranks normaly, but will NOT start" ??????????????????????? ......starter solenoid contact ....no crank!
Old April-19th-2011, 11:16 AM

If it cranks without starting, and you're getting fuel... you may also be getting spark but at the wrong time. If the crank angle sensor failed, that would keep it from starting. Or if your timing belt/chain skipped a tooth.
Old November-9th-2023, 02:40 PM

Oveson is an unknown quantity at this point
Link no longer working. What was the issue?

Originally Posted by LibertyMazda3
Okay, I found the issue. See the link below to the Mazda service notice on this issue. I would recommend anyone in an area with winter snow and salt used on the roads be sure they have the stock skid plate installed.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...7-08-1960a.pdf
Having this problem and wondering what the issue was that you found. your link no longer works.
Old November-10th-2023, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oveson
Having this problem and wondering what the issue was that you found. your link no longer works.
the name can be searched 01-037-08-1960a. But it's basically that the starter solenoid wire has a corroded contact add therefore won't crank... not the same issue as this thread was originally for.

as a follow up. The engine management will flood the engine of only run for a minute or two. The unflood procedure is to hold the gas to the floor which disables the fuel system. Once it fires once or twice the cylinder should be clear enough to run, but the plugs will be soaked at this point, so it'll run rough & just needs a few seconds of running to clear up.
I avoid this problem whenever running it for just a minute to move it around the driveway or whatnot by doing the following... gas it it to ~4k rpm and then shut it off. The extra time the engine rotates with no fuel leaves the cylinders dry so it'll restart fine.