Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Roof racks

Old January-5th-2009, 04:43 PM

slone is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, and the mazda factory roof rack for our cars is made by Thule, its probably of a lower quality than this and more expensive, though if you ask real nice and have lots of cash Im sure you can get the Canadian Mazda dealer to order and ship the factory rack to you.

There was probably some issue (height?) that would have caused the car to not meet some wierd US spec for import cars if the rack was offered by Mazda.
Old January-7th-2009, 10:29 PM
LB

LB is an unknown quantity at this point
slone: thank you!

This matches the research I did last weekend: I've ordered podium foot pack (just the regular profile - not the aero), 50" load bars, and the fixpoint fit kit #3069. Unfortunately they did not it in the store and I had to place an order. Without seeing yet the fit kit, I only have one question in my mind: how to attach it to the anchor point? I have a US Mazda3, therefore the gutter cover is a single piece. I guess I can remove it, measure carefully the relative position of anchor on the gutter, drill the roles in the cover, and place it back. I'll only know when I actually see the part...
Old January-10th-2009, 08:49 PM

X5toM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
LB, I have the same situation as you, let us know how it goes removing the gutter cover and cutting or drilling it.
I am wondering if the non-US gutter cover has cut outs or a slider/cover over the mount points ?
Old January-17th-2009, 10:58 PM
LB

Done.
1. I removed the gutter covers: it seemed the best way is to start from the hear end. Open the trunk to give better access and use something flat (screw driver) to pop the end up. It's basically spring loaded on top of a metal piece that looks like a nail head.

2. Then work your way towards the front and use your hands to remove the cover completely. The rails are metal on the inside, so you will need to be careful.

I read somewhere that if you get the European cover they do have access covers to the anchor points.

3. You will find the anchor points that are welded into the roof. I believe they can receive a 15/26" bolt/screw.

4. The Thule fit kit uses a 15/64" bolt and a 23/64" spacer.

5. So, I carefully measured the position of the anchor and drill 23/64" holes in the covers to match the spacer.

This is what really took me time because I wanted to make sure I'd drill on the correct place.
6. Summarizing. The only trick is to know that the anchor points are there. Then remove the cover, drill the holes big enough for the spacers and follow the instructions from Thule on how to install the fit + tower kits.

I like the results: looks almost like a factory rack to me.

well... now I still need to add a fairing and fit my old bike racks there...

Last edited by LB; January-17th-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old January-19th-2009, 09:39 PM

X5toM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
LB, very good ! Thanks for the great photos.
If you take the whole rack off the car; how obvious or wierd does it look to have 2 holes in the gutter covers ?
X5toM3
Old January-20th-2009, 06:50 PM
LB

x5tom3: well.. there'll be 15/26" holes. so they should be visible if you're close to the car.

if i'd to remove the rack for a long trip, for example, i'd just leave the roles open. i guess someone craft could just get a 15/64" short bolt/screw with a head big enough to cover the role, paint it black, and put it in place... - you got the idea.

if i was to never use the rack again, a good black tape around the area and placing the cover back would do the job.

if you really want it done right, i understand you can order the european part. it should have the access cover that you can remove and place back.

best!
Old February-3rd-2009, 11:37 AM

speedbump1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can anyone confirm if the MS3 has these same factory mounting points?
Old March-7th-2009, 11:36 AM

9speeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello all - First post.

I currently carry my bike via a hitch rack. But I'm interested in a roof rack. Has anybody done this rain gutter mount on a 3s hatch with a sunroof? From what I've read I will have to get a spoiler to cut down the noise. On a previous vehicle I could not make a spoiler work with its sunroof. So before I invest $$ for this outfit, I'd like to know if anybody has been successful with it.

Thanks!
Old April-19th-2009, 05:38 PM
LB

Hello 9speeder,

You definitively will need a fairing for the rack, otherwise it will sound like you're flying an airplane every time you go over 50
To find out if the anchor/mount is there just "wiggle" the rain gutter a bit and you'll be able to notice if there is a dark metal piece underneath it. Take a reference from the previous picture: the front anchors are located about 1/2 the front door and the back anchor pretty much 1/2 way the back door.

I don't know about sunroof. The point where my fairing touches the roof is about 7in behind the edge between roof and front windshield.

best.
Attached Thumbnails Roof racks-p4190827.jpg  
Old April-20th-2009, 10:09 AM

Amaris4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking at a Yakima roof rack for my new 2006 Mazda 3. I went to the Yakima website to find a compatible rack, and it appears they haven't updated their site for 2006 models. Has anything changed between the 05 and 06 M3 that would make a roof rack that was compatible with an 05 not compatible with an 06?
Old May-7th-2010, 11:16 AM

FlipFriddle is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm coming to this thread late, but I just signed up.

For those looking at Yakima racks, I've got an '05 3s and I have a Yakima rack with round bars and the Q towers. It's never fit right on the curved door lines. The clips that Yakima recommended for the Mazda even say that the fit may not be perfect. I really had to noodle around with the placement to get it to stop slipping back off the car.

Who knew there were posts built-in (as I slap my head in surprise). Is Thule the only company that makes a rack mount that would fit in those points? I'd hate to have to ditch all of my Yakima accessories because Thule don't have round bars, or do they?
Old May-24th-2010, 11:05 PM

tpuckett75 is an unknown quantity at this point
the yakima landing pad #11(Product # 8000221) is the base that attaches to the mounting holes under the black plastic rails. the control towers (Product # 8000214) attach to landing pads. i plan on getting this setup for my 3 hatch, when i do, i'll get pictures up.
Old May-25th-2010, 11:01 AM

FlipFriddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome. Thanks. I'll be getting those parts as well this summer. I won't post any pics though, because my steel-wheel havin', starting to rust, '05 3s hatch isn't too impressive. But I do like it.
Old October-23rd-2012, 07:35 PM

littlemiamijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, first post here, I'm 99% sure I'm buying a 2005 Mazda3 sedan this week, 60K miles, and may have the dealer install the rack for me. I'll be carrying an Ocean Kayak Malibu II on it.

It has the sun roof, any problems with the sun roof getting in the way? Also, does the antenna bend far enough down or should I just remove it? Not a radio guy anyway.

Thanks!
LMJ
Old December-8th-2012, 12:01 PM

littlemiamijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Rola Roof rack installed on '05 Mazda 3 4d

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LB, you're info was right on, my installer didn't know the factory mounts existed below the rain gutter covers, 4 screws and 4 holes and here it is.

I've carried my 13.5' Ocean Kayak on it a few times already, w/and w/out bow/stern straps, not a problem.

I chose the Rola over Thule and Yakima (eTrailer dot com) mostly for weight capacity, and I like the round ends vs. rods over the supports. Not noisy w/out fairing either, at least not that bad. Aftermarket sunroof allows more noise than factory anyway.

Thanks again LB for the heads up on the factory mounts.
LMJ