Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

2004 Mazda3 rear brake rattle

Old October-14th-2008, 02:40 PM

at7driver is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Mazda3 rear brake rattle

Hi all,

I have a 2004 mazda 3 and noticed a rythmic rattle from the right rear wheel area. I did a search but came up with only squealing noises etc.. I believe it is a retaining clip that holds the pad in firm to the caliper. Just wondering if any others have had similar issues.

The PO had tire kingdom install new rotors and pads about two months prior to my getting the car. I have only had it a couple of months so I dont think the rotor is warped. any info would be appreciated.

thanks,
david
Old October-15th-2008, 08:00 AM

icspots is on a distinguished road
It's most likely that the pads installed lacked the retention clip that snaps onto the piston in the caliper. I know there were some problems for a while with aftermarket pads not having that clip. Assuming that's the problem then just grab a new set of pads and you'll be set.

If you have the tools/space to work you just need to remove a wheel, and then there are two allen bolts (7mm I think) to remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and then you'll have access to the pad on the piston.
Old October-15th-2008, 10:30 AM

at7driver is an unknown quantity at this point
rear brake

Thanks,

I checked it last night. The outside pad has a small clip of sorts that is between the pad and the caliper, I re-seated that clip. the inside pad had two small buttons that sat down in the piston, they are very small only about 1/16th in depth. That seems to have corrected the problem.. I am going to set aside some money this month to get some quality brake hardware on there.

thanks again,

david