Mazda5 Discuss the Mazda 3 sibling, the Mazda 5

Pic's of the new 5

Old July-13th-2006, 09:51 AM

irloyal is on a distinguished road
Pic's of the new 5

Painted the Calipers Bright yellow. Then we added the window tint and rear graphic. Next will be a Sharkfin antenna.

I'm looking for information on chips/intakes/exhaust for performance mods.
Any help out there?
Attached Thumbnails Pic's of the new 5-calipers-painted.jpg   Pic's of the new 5-graphic2sm.jpg  
Old July-13th-2006, 11:00 AM
Awesome Member

kargoboy is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum, I like the color you chose.
I've got Carbon Fiber SRIs, CAIs and Headers.
Check the vendor section for more info.
Old July-13th-2006, 11:37 AM
Moderator/ Pocket Tuner

macdaddyslomo is on a distinguished road
^^pimp^^
Old July-13th-2006, 02:13 PM
Awesome Member

kargoboy is on a distinguished road
Hahaha, I said welcome first!
Old July-23rd-2006, 12:57 PM

Radarlove is on a distinguished road
I haven't got under the car to see look at the stock exhaust piping. Is it mandrel bent? I'm guessing 2" or 2.25" diameter?

I've seen cat-back kits running in the $500 range. I'm sure I could get a local shop to custom bend 2.5" piping for less than half that. Add a resonator or Thrush Magnum glasspack early in the run, then a decent high-flowing muffler like the Hooker Max Flow, and I'll bet it'll free up a good 5-10 HP.

I've also seen a couple of CAI's for the Mz5 ranging from $200 (worthless hot air intakes) to $400 (actually gets cold air). I'm sure there's a way to do it cheaper properly.

There are also underdrive kits out there replacing anywhere from just the water pump and alt pulleys (~$300) to all of them (~$500).

SR Motorsports seems to be keeping up with stuff for the 5 performance, not really a typical car for modification...

Wife still says no mods until the warranty is up... But I've already measured to make sure there's room for a Mitsu S16g or T3/T4 hybrid . FMIC will be a little tough to fit though...

Best of luck!
Old September-18th-2006, 04:06 PM

buzzsaw is on a distinguished road
There are not many main stream CAI systems specifically for the M5. K&N says that their system will fit the M3 and M5 but others say they are not compatible. AEM's M3 CAI has very impressivee dyno results with over 10 lbf of torque gained a low rpm and 5 hp at high rpm. AEM has yet to answer me about fitment on my M5. Others report that the Mazdaspeed M3 system is actually made by AEM. One thing to watch out for is pipe diameter. Mazda did a lot of work to tune the intake for more torque than the M3. A excessively large diameter pipe may negate some of this work. I beleive that both the K&N and AEM systems use a 2.5 inch pipe. There are lesser known brands using 3 inch or larger. Mazda also claims a CAI may void your engine warranty. A lot of people have had problems with the MAF and engine check light when putting intakes on the M3.