Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Airbag warning light

Old May-3rd-2009, 02:09 PM

EPataky is an unknown quantity at this point
Airbag warning light

Hello,
I own a 2004 Mazda 3 GT (128,000kms)
Recently my airbag warning indicator light on my DASH has lit up (not the passenger airbag warning light) . The warning light will stay on for the entire time the car is on. Sometimes when I turn on the car the light will flash on and then go out (as it is supposed to do) and will remain off for the duration of the time the car is on. Most of the time I turn my car on the airbag warning light is on The light has been going on and off like this for almost 2 weeks now. I am wondering if anyone has any explanations for this. When I asked the dealer they said that if the light is ignited that the airbags will not function and wanted over $600.00 just for the diagnosis! I don't understand why the light would go on and off sporadically like this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old May-16th-2009, 02:44 PM

dancnmama1 is an unknown quantity at this point
airbag dash warning light

I own a 2007 Mazda3 i-touring (38,500mi) and have been having the same issue with my airbag warning light coming on and off on the dash. It started happening after I took my car in for an oil change in March of this year. Sometimes it stays on after the car is turned on and then it will go out, and sometimes it stays off like it is supposed to. It is very annoying. It is my belief that the oil change tech guy hit or bumped something too hard near the sensor. I am researching the issue and definately will not pay the dealer a fortune to just look at it. I will update you with any information or tips that I find out for this issue.
Old May-16th-2009, 04:49 PM

EPataky is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your reply. Now that you mention it, my airbag warning light came on right after I had one of my break lights replaced, I don't know how this could have anything to do with the airbags but it is an interesting coincidence. Keep me posted!
Thanks
-Liz
Old February-8th-2010, 04:21 AM

shadowes is an unknown quantity at this point
air bag warning light subject of recall

The mazda 3 has a fault which has been the subject of recall in some countries. The air bag sensor casing can crack causing water to enter, illuminating the light. IN the event of an accident, the front passenger and driver air bags will not work. I found this out the hard way. Mazda Australia tell me that it is the seat belt pretensioner causing the trouble (not true) and that it is very expensive to fix. I am not paying to fix a known fault in the vehicle. Problem is that the ACCC here in Australia have not recieved enough complaints and have not forced Mazda to issue a recall. Any Australia drivers reading this who have this trouble use this link to record an official complaint and hopefully, a recall will eventually be issued. In the meantime...drive safe.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...lls/index.aspx
Old January-18th-2011, 02:38 AM

olly4891 is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have the same issue with my 2004 Mazda 3 Neo

Do we know if there has been any update in terms of a recall/factory warrenty covering the defect???

Will fill out complaint form as suggested and see what happens...

Last edited by olly4891; January-18th-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: car details...
Old October-11th-2011, 11:43 AM

mazda3? is an unknown quantity at this point
I just changed my battery and brake light on 2004 Mazda 3 GS on saturday and all was fine. I didnt drive it on sunday. But on monday the light came on for the driver air bag and has not shut off...

Anyone have updates?
Old February-10th-2012, 09:45 PM

ATXMazda3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone... newbie here, from TX.

I did a little searching but wasn't finding what I'm looking for. Excuse me for bumping an old thread if this has been hashed out before... this looked like the topic most closely related to what I'm looking for.

My fiance has a 2005 Mazda 3 with 100K on the clock. The airbag light has been coming on and off sporadically. The service engine light is also on. The local dealer gave us an estimate of about $600 to fix both... the issue with the airbag, they say, is a sensor connected to the seat belt that measures the accelerative force on the belt to trigger the airbag in the event of a collision. The sensor has aged and has a loose connection, they say. The plan is to surround the sensor with some di-electric grease and re-fasten it.

This seems like a task that I ought to be able to do on my own, if only I knew where this sensor was. Does anyone know, is it under the seat, contained within the seatbelt housing itself, or elsewhere? I would appreciate any advice.

The thermostat is another issue... it's staying stuck open, constantly signaling that the engine is not up to temperature. I reckon I ought to be able to replace that on my own. Is that easy enough, or should I take this question to another thread?

Thanks for any help.
Old July-23rd-2012, 05:46 PM

Cinbearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem on a 2004 Mazda3. Did you resolve the problem?
Old July-24th-2012, 11:44 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
@ ATXmazda3 - the seatbelt sensor may not be at the belt at all, but measuring the car deceleration. I know there's a module on the seatbelt but i am not sure if it's just the pretensioner - that's behind the plastic covering the belt wind up mechanism, pretty easy to get to. door sills and plastic cover come off.
There's another yaw control or DSC / airbag module that's dead center under the console. This is easy to see and get to, under the plastic that pretty much all snaps apart that covers the e-brake lever in the center. I've got a manual, not sure if the plastic around an auto is as easy to come off.

As for the overall issue with an airbag light. It could be a cracked module letting water in (per previous post). It could also be a loose connectior / corrosion at the bag (any of the bags - door, steering wheel, passenger dash), or at some sensor, which could be in the front seatbelts, center console, there's something on the front bumper and hood latch.
I'd suggest a scan tool, but these codes don't show up since it's not emissions related... and that's what most scan tools can get to. The dealer is needed to get more information on why the airbag light is coming on.
Old December-17th-2012, 11:39 PM

Seabee128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like I found others with the same problem. I have a 2007 Touring 5 Door with 52,500 miles. Yesterday all was well. Today the light appeared. Comes on at power on, goes off briefly and comes back on and stays. Several starts occurred tonight but it is still with me. Just started doing research. I too do not want the big expense to have it checked and repaired. Will work with it for a while and see what happens. Will keeping checking back for updates. Great group.
Old January-15th-2013, 03:14 PM

Dj CEO is an unknown quantity at this point
So I was having the same issue as Seabee128 and found another link that made me think...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-finally-fixed

And put 2 and 2 together I recently replaced all of the interior lights with LEDs with no problems then recently just switched out the one in the glovebox due to it being burnt out.... in the link above he had stated that the issue of his airbag light due to a higher wattage bulb being installed in his "Passenger Airbag Deactivation ("PAD") lamp so I thought maybe the glovebox lamp could be causing the same issue if they are wired together to complete the circuit and low an behold I removed the newly installed LED glovebox lamp and whaalaa the airbag indicator went off ... Hope this helps anyone in need or that has recently switched a bulb and had a uninvited visit from the indicator fairy .. lol happy hunting if this doesn't remody your problem....
Old January-15th-2013, 06:48 PM

kball is an unknown quantity at this point
We had the airbag light with our 06 also. No lights had been changed. I looked and looked for a code reader for mazda's online to try and figure out which sensor it was and found nothing. Finally took it to the dealer and they said it was just a bad/loose connection. I think they said it was the passenger door bag. Got bent over for an hour of labor... $100
Old January-16th-2013, 07:38 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
I can't open that link... but i'm assuming a bad connection as well. I've had the light turn on when moving in my seat / bumping the center console. Or sometimes when turning on the seat heat or plugging into the front 12V accessory port. BTW i've got all stock lights too.
I have yet to pull the console apart and reseat the connectors - i'm guessing that'll do it.
Old January-20th-2013, 02:10 AM

GoldSandman09 is an unknown quantity at this point
I too recently having an AirBag Light issue...

When I take a hard Turn around a corner the Main AirBag light the dash lights up...until I turn the car off & back on....sometimes going over a Bump too!

WTF.....LoL.....I dont wanna go to the Stealership!.....Argh...

I even hooked my OBDII scanner up no codes or anything.
Old January-20th-2013, 10:43 AM

kball is an unknown quantity at this point
You need a special scanner for ABS or airbag codes. I could not find one made for Mazda's when I had the light. So I had to take it in. Sounds like you have the same issue, a bad connection. Most likely it will just cost you an hour of labor. Sucks but what else can you do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag warning light