2nd Gen Protege General/Maintenance Discussion for 1995-1998 Models Only (BH Chassis)

Interior Door Handle Piece

Search this Thread

Old May-18th-2013, 09:05 PM

tmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior Door Handle Piece

Just joined the club. I've been driving my first car, a 1998 Mazda Protege, for 10 years now and it's been performing great (besides a small rear seal oil leak and a recent, and occasional, rough idle).

Anyways, I recently had to change my driver side power window motor and assembly. It went surprisingly well with my father's help and solved the problem I was having. I believe, however, that I damaged the plastic clip that attaches the pull rod, which opens the door from the inside, to the interior door handle. I was able to put it back into the door handle and it worked for a few weeks. It now has fallen out of the handle, leaving me stuck inside my car. I've attempted to attach it other ways, but have concluded that I need that tiny little plastic piece.

Anyone know what piece I'm talking about? And if so, can help me find one online? I've searched and searched both Google and forums. My door handle itself is in perfect condition. I can use my car by pulling the rod myself, though it's a bit tough.

Thanks in advance!
Old June-20th-2013, 09:25 AM

bsteimel is an unknown quantity at this point
Here are the parts for the door lock
http://onlinemazdaparts.com/parts/19...%26%20HARDWARE

There are couple parts on there that might pertain. If you have the clip or pin you might want to post a pic of it. You should be able to find it in the diagram.
Old June-20th-2013, 12:28 PM

tmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bsteimel, thanks for replying and reminding me I posted here.

I did find the part on jimellismazdaparts.com and saw it in the diagram. It's stock code B00159335. It's just referred to as "clip" and costs $2.72.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/pr...B00159335.html

However, the shipping was about $8. On Amazon, I found and purchased the entire handle and clip for $10 with Prime shipping. It was OEM compatible Depo brand.

Amazon.com: Depo 316-50005-074 Mazda Protege Front/Rear Driver Side Replacement Interior Door Handle: Automotive Amazon.com: Depo 316-50005-074 Mazda Protege Front/Rear Driver Side Replacement Interior Door Handle: Automotive

It's slightly darker than my other handles, so I was going to just use the clip with my original handle, but it was made slightly different and only fit the new handle. So now I have an all new handle instead. Works like a charm. No longer have to roll my window down to open my door, then back up. Or pull the pull rod.

Thanks for the advice though.