2013 mazda3i oil filter wrench

Old August-15th-2013, 08:54 PM

keninn is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 mazda3i oil filter wrench

i see a lot of reference to mazda oil filter tool aks75140. will this tool fit the spin-on filter for our 2013 2.0, base model? that sucker is gorilla'd on there. i tried several of the pennzoil caps, and a strap wrench.
Old August-17th-2013, 01:31 PM

icspots is on a distinguished road
If the top of the spin on filter has the pattern for a filter wrench to fit it, then it's possible the mazda one may fit it. There are a few different sized similar wrenches. For a while I was buying a specific brand of filter simply because it fit the mazda wrench I'd purchased for my cannister filter housing before doing the spin on swap. That said those were annoying because the paint coating on the filter was actually just thick enough to make it hard to put the wrench on it.

Another brand of filter had little welded on nuts on the crown of the filter so you could just stick a regular wrench on it.

Not that it helps you in getting the old filter off, but once you do you shouldn't really need a wrench to install it. Spin on filters should be little more than hand tight.
Old August-17th-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by icspots
If the top of the spin on filter has the pattern for a filter wrench to fit it, then it's possible the mazda one may fit it. There are a few different sized similar wrenches. For a while I was buying a specific brand of filter simply because it fit the mazda wrench I'd purchased for my cannister filter housing before doing the spin on swap. That said those were annoying because the paint coating on the filter was actually just thick enough to make it hard to put the wrench on it.

Another brand of filter had little welded on nuts on the crown of the filter so you could just stick a regular wrench on it.

Not that it helps you in getting the old filter off, but once you do you shouldn't really need a wrench to install it. Spin on filters should be little more than hand tight.
i know filters should only be on hand tight. this is a genuine filter, and this is the first oil service on this car, and obviously, mazda robots installed it dry. from all the posts i have read, it has to be 76.5mm, 14 flutes. i have an otc tool coming that is supposed to fit. most mazda dealers will not sell the tool, i have found one that does. apparently, the tool that fits is the same one that fits the cannister for the earlier 2.3. some posts said the 76mm one from autozone works, but not for me. i cannot imagine why .5mm makes a difference, but every post i have read about the tool all say it works like a charm. and since i dont plan on using genuine filters, i probably will only use it once. there is NO WAY i am taking this car to the dealer for an oil change, even tho the first one is free.
Old August-27th-2013, 11:31 AM

djs2571 is on a distinguished road
My dad has a strap wrench, but it's just a square post that attaches to a socket wrench & a fabric band that will tighten around it, 100% adjustable, it tightens as you apply pressure.
I have also had luck with orange plastic ones from walmart that have many sizes as a universal filter changer. I don't recall if that fit my mazda too, as I bought a wrench & filter kit from finishlineperformance.com
Old August-27th-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by djs2571
My dad has a strap wrench, but it's just a square post that attaches to a socket wrench & a fabric band that will tighten around it, 100% adjustable, it tightens as you apply pressure.
I have also had luck with orange plastic ones from walmart that have many sizes as a universal filter changer. I don't recall if that fit my mazda too, as I bought a wrench & filter kit from finishlineperformance.com
i have 2 strap wrenches. they just slipped. i have a band type filter wrench. it slipped. i have several cap type that go over the end of the filter. some were close, but none fit. the dealer said this one would. it didnt. i just pounded it on to the end of the filter, and then it worked. the problem was that mazda installed it dry(the car had just turned 5k), and tightened the crap out of it. now i have a new filter on there, and it is PROPERLY hand tightened, and the seal has been oiled. i am 68 years old, and i have been doing the oil service on our cars for like 50 years, and i know what works. the web has lots of posts exactly like mine, a new mazda, first oil service, and the filter is ON there. personally, i think it is a ploy to make new car owners take the car to a mazda dealer. there is NO excuse for installing an oil filter like that. we have owned an 88 323gtx, 88 323gt(both turbos), 96 626(what a pile), 2 99 millenia 's'(which we still have, excellent car), and this new mazda3, which is even worse than the 626, and is our last mazda.
Old September-25th-2013, 10:51 PM

Okcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Good thing you were able to make it work. I saw this thread a little bit too late. The tool that most techs use including myself is just a simple oil wrench Clamp style. or if that fails you can use an adjustable one like this one <. Also, even that the manual says 4.5q 0-20w synthetic. Add 4.1q and turn on the car. check the oil and add if needed only. We have seen many cars have the intake flooded with oil even when adding the 4.51
Old September-26th-2013, 02:17 PM

i tried the clamp on one, it also slipped. the pliers one i did not, because to get leverage, i would have to remove the lower splash shield. this is a simple job that mazda made difficult. it is because they install the filter dry. i think it is to discourage diy, and make us take the car to the dealer. also, i no longer drain oil. i vacuum it out with a mityvac:

http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/07201.jpg

then i put back the exact same amount. the owner's manual says 4.3 qts. i got almost that, i would say 4.1, not including the oil that was in the filter.
Old October-3rd-2013, 01:24 PM
Clean-Up Crew

eggynatey is on a distinguished road
When all else fails, jam a LARGE flathead screwdriver straight into the bottom of the oil filter. After its done raining hot oil on you, you can use the hole you punched to unscrew the filter with that same flathead.
Old October-5th-2013, 04:27 PM

geebosa is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Head over to the dollar store and buy a rubber jar lid gripper 4" x 4" and twist. If all else fails take your car in and have the oil n lfilter changed. Then loosen the filter with the rubber gripper and tighten. Just remember to do this if you bring the car in again for a oil change.
Old October-5th-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by eggynatey
When all else fails, jam a LARGE flathead screwdriver straight into the bottom of the oil filter. After its done raining hot oil on you, you can use the hole you punched to unscrew the filter with that same flathead.
yah, well, that's kinda dumb. then if the filter dont come off, what then? i then have a car that has to be TOWED. mazda installed the filter DRY. anyway, the problem is solved, i got it off, and i installed a new filter the CORRECT way.
Old October-5th-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by geebosa
Head over to the dollar store and buy a rubber jar lid gripper 4" x 4" and twist. If all else fails take your car in and have the oil n lfilter changed. Then loosen the filter with the rubber gripper and tighten. Just remember to do this if you bring the car in again for a oil change.
there is NO way that would have worked. and i have already removed the filter, and a new one is on there.