Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Roof racks

Old January-4th-2006, 01:43 PM

mcfly is on a distinguished road
Roof racks

I'm looking at a Yakima roof rack for my new 2006 Mazda 3. I went to the Yakima website to find a compatible rack, and it appears they haven't updated their site for 2006 models. Has anything changed between the 05 and 06 M3 that would make a roof rack that was compatible with an 05 not compatible with an 06?
Old January-5th-2006, 02:10 PM

M3sTouringZOOM is on a distinguished road
Talking No change in body style

Hi Mcfly... I also just purchased an M3 06 model, and I asked my dealer if there were any body changes from 05 to 06 before I bought the car. He's said no there was no change in body from last year.
Old January-5th-2006, 02:21 PM

Out of curiosity, why would you desire to put a roof rack on your mazda 3? I know not everyone buys their car for style and looks but if you have the sedan - ew. I think it would look okay on the M3 Wagon since any new wagon already look utility like. I'm just opinionated. Anyway have a nice day maybe I'll catch you later
Old January-6th-2006, 08:01 AM

mcfly is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I'm putting roof racks on so I can carry bicycles, and I do have the wagon. But I see your point, maybe I'll price out a hitch carrier too. The problem with the hitch mount is that it will make opening the hatch difficult to impossible depending on the type of rack I get.
Old January-11th-2006, 12:36 AM

You're welcome = ). You must be one of those Lance Armstrong bike guys? gotta love em.
Old January-11th-2006, 10:04 PM
Mattys head scrumpet

Angels8 is on a distinguished road
Yakima makes one for our cars, and I believe the year makes no real difference on the hatch. I know i am going to pick one up for my car this weekend.
Old February-3rd-2006, 12:32 AM

Mauricio23 is on a distinguished road
While the thread is a little old, maybe the added info can help. I have a Yakima roof rack on my 2006 Mazda 3 Sport GS. I got the model listed for the 2005, and it worked just great. I kinda wish I had gone with the Thule rack, though; for an extra $100 or so it has much better build quality than the Yakima. I use it to carry skis, by the way.
Old February-24th-2006, 07:31 AM

colnagordr is on a distinguished road
roof racks

I manage a local bike shop and we sell both Thule and Yakima. The Yakima product is a better application for the 5 door due to the curverd roof. With the round load bars from Yakima, all bike trays, cargo boxes and other things will fit the curved roof better. I have seen both in action and unless you have a perfectly straight roofline and are willing to pay a little more there is no reason to go with Thule.
Old March-16th-2006, 12:42 AM

Firstturn is on a distinguished road
Has anyone carried surfboards with on a Mazda 3 5-door with the Yakima roof rack? I would like to know if 9' to 10' foot boards could be carried safely with this set up.
Old March-17th-2006, 07:13 AM

colnagordr is on a distinguished road
I carry a 17 foot sea kayak on the roof of my 3 five door. Just watch the tailgate when you open it.
Old July-16th-2006, 07:35 PM
PB

PB is on a distinguished road
Greeting all. Bought my M3 5dr last Feb and I love it, it's a great little car. I wanted to get some roof racks for it and now that it's summer, it's time to get the gear out. I was reading through the thread and was curious, does anyone have any further feedback on their (or any other) roof racks for their 3?

I've got the "Thule vs. Yakima" debate dialogue going through my head, so if anyone can add to the fray I'd appreciate it.

So far I've heard: "Thule has better build quality" but "Yakima accommodates the curved roof shape better".

Anyone else?

Thanks,

~PB

P.S. Looking to be able to transport my bike, kayak or longboard.

Last edited by PB; July-16th-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old August-22nd-2008, 01:36 PM

willevans is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing a permanent Yakima roof rack?

Does anyone know what I need to look out for, like the location of roof braces? I'm going to install a permanent Yakima rack on my car and would hate to drill into a brace accidentally. I need four places where there is just sheet metal.
Old December-31st-2008, 04:23 PM

slone is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, dont screw into your roof, there is a Thule system for the five door and the sedan.

there are factory anchor nuts under the gutters on our cars, and anywhere outside of NA they have little sliding tabs on the gutters so you can access them, but for some reason NA mazda3's have solid gutters. doesnt matter, the gutters pop off easily, and you just mark and drill through them so the allenhead bolt that attachs the tower to your roof contacts the anchor nut. ill try and post pics sometime, but just do a little more research online and im sure you'll find pics of what im referring too. At the time, about a year ago, this fit kit was only available outside of the US. I bought mine from a roofrack shop online located in Great Britain.

This is reversable, you just buy the $40 gutters from any mazda dealer if you remove the rack. Or ive heard of people ordering the non-NA gutters with the tabs.
Old January-2nd-2009, 06:23 PM
LB

LB is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm also interested on permanent roof racks for the Mazda 3 5drs. I just got a used 2008 and I want to load my bikes on the roof.

If soemone has pictures and guidelines to share please let me know.

I took a pick under the covers in the gutters and I see anchor places to receive a fixed rack.

I called a couple of local Mazda dealers and they are not aware of roof rack for the M3.

It turns out you can have M3 roof racks in Canada, for example. (part number B33D-V4-701A for M3) see: http://www.mazda.ca/files/2008_mazda3_accBro_en.pdf

What's up with this? Why can't we order factory roof racks in US?

Cheers.
Old January-5th-2009, 04:39 PM

slone is an unknown quantity at this point
look for thule parts 460R Podium (specifiy aero to accomodate the aero cross bars) Fixpoint Feet (4pk) should run about $160, and the fit kit for our car, 5dr, is the 3069 (should be around $60). Then get the bar you want, I went with the aero bars cause they're a little lower in profile. I alos got a wider bar than the thule calculator would have suggested because I wanted room for several bikes. I think mine are 52"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof racks