Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

How can I make my mazdaspeed 3 faster ...

Old March-24th-2010, 03:46 PM

speedman is an unknown quantity at this point
How can I make my mazdaspeed 3 faster ...

Hey guys I am new, my name is Kris.. I was debating between a wrx, rx8 and a speed 3, so I got a 2009 speed 3...Stock it runs low 14 seconds...Can someone who is patient explain to me what needs to be done to put evo's and wrx out..I have saved up 1400 dollars for mods, I was thinking of getting full turbo back exhaust, please guys any info will be great, I my neighbor who flaunts his wrx..
Old April-3rd-2010, 03:53 PM

onebadmazda3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by speedman
Hey guys I am new, my name is Kris.. I was debating between a wrx, rx8 and a speed 3, so I got a 2009 speed 3...Stock it runs low 14 seconds...Can someone who is patient explain to me what needs to be done to put evo's and wrx out..I have saved up 1400 dollars for mods, I was thinking of getting full turbo back exhaust, please guys any info will be great, I my neighbor who flaunts his wrx..
it says dyno tested you will get another 80hp for a turbo back exaust. they have a nice set up @ cobb tuning.
Old April-4th-2010, 10:56 PM

Would I have a chance with a 09 wrx?
Old April-5th-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by speedman
Would I have a chance with a 09 wrx?
if you bought a cold air intake to go with it, you can compete with a stock sti
Old April-5th-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks One Bad Mazda, I was wondering is it true tho that for turbo cars exhaust is the most important? I also wanted to ask you if a good aem short ram intake would help just as much as a cold air intake...
Old April-5th-2010, 03:37 PM

there is alot of different intakes availible. i bought the one from K&N. its a short ram and a cai. its got the heat blocker. i like it better than the mazdaspeed one. K&N gives you about 25hp.
Old April-5th-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks man, how big is our turbo compared to an Evo or Sti's turbo?
Old April-6th-2010, 12:43 AM
Clean-Up Crew

eggynatey is on a distinguished road
A lot of people have had great results with Cobbs access port.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4100
Old April-6th-2010, 02:14 PM

hey Eggynatey I called the cobb tunning web page, they told me I that I can not keep up with and sti or evo, the ms3 turbo loses power much sooner then the other vehicles..? what should i do?
Old April-7th-2010, 12:23 AM
Clean-Up Crew

eggynatey is on a distinguished road
Buy an FD?
Old April-30th-2010, 08:27 AM

sabbath39 is an unknown quantity at this point
im not currently a 3 owner i am currently just doing research to decide whether to buy one or an rx8 and stumbled on your post... the basic concept behind turbos is to get air in to the engine as fast as possible using the exaust to spin up a turbine, so if you make the air get into the engine faster and out the exaust faster you will gain the most power for your buck, first off well go with the exaust you can either spend 400 or so on a good exaust system or get yourself a cutout which dumps your exaust right before the cat or were ever you choose for an electronic one itll run around 100-200 depending on where you get it these will maintain your car being street legal while at the same time getting you the most free flowing exaust possible without cutting it off altogether just make sure before you go to get your car inspected you close it... second of all the intake im not positive about this but if the 3 has the same airbox as the rx8 there are 2 baffles in the air box that you can remove and also 2 screens in the intake tube itself (the screen removal has varying results car to car) with the removal of these your intake will be almost as good as an aftermarket one for free... next the intercooler the colder the charge of air coming into the engine the denser it will be therefore the better a frontmount intercooler will do wonders you can either get these as a standalone unit or in a turbo upgrade kit.... these are probably the best things you can do for the money... there are many other things you can try but im not adding in here due to never using them on an import so i dont wanna give bad info i hope this helps and happy modding
Old April-30th-2010, 08:30 AM

sabbath39 is an unknown quantity at this point
o one other thing about the turbo losing power before the ones in stis and evos... the ms3 runs a smaller turbo than the other 2 vics therefore it spools up faster giving more power from the get go but dropping of at higher speeds
Old May-25th-2010, 01:08 AM

Mediarocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sabbath39
im not currently a 3 owner i am currently just doing research to decide whether to buy one or an rx8 and stumbled on your post... the basic concept behind turbos is to get air in to the engine as fast as possible using the exaust to spin up a turbine, so if you make the air get into the engine faster and out the exaust faster you will gain the most power for your buck, first off well go with the exaust you can either spend 400 or so on a good exaust system or get yourself a cutout which dumps your exaust right before the cat or were ever you choose for an electronic one itll run around 100-200 depending on where you get it these will maintain your car being street legal while at the same time getting you the most free flowing exaust possible without cutting it off altogether just make sure before you go to get your car inspected you close it...
To make more power, you need to force more air and fuel into a cylinder. You can do this by pressurizing it. It in no way is intended to get air "faster" into the engine. (Instead the effect of getting air faster in and out is called scavenging.) The object of a turbo is to pressurize the intake air charge to increase the amount of air/fuel in a cylinder..

From Garrett Turbo's Website:
"Engine power is proportional to the amount of air and fuel that can get into the cylinders. All things being equal, larger engines flow more air and as such will produce more power. If we want our small engine to perform like a big engine, or simply make our bigger engine produce more power, our ultimate objective is to draw more air into the cylinder. By installing a Garrett turbocharger, the power and performance of an engine can be dramatically increased."