Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 General/Maintenance Discussion of the Mazda3 and MazdaSpeed3

Mazda 3 Acceleration Problem

Old October-4th-2005, 12:56 AM

capernicus is on a distinguished road
Mazda 3 Acceleration Problem

I got a 2004 Mazda 3 with auto trans. 2.3l. It has a problem with accelerating. Since I bought It I noticed it has a stall effect from a dead stop to a go. I found the reason why it does it here http://mazdaforum.com/m_4465/tm.htm but can someone tell me how to fix this stall or make the car not lag in ecceleration? Thanks
Old October-4th-2005, 09:32 PM
Mattys head scrumpet

Angels8 is on a distinguished road
Wow.. YAY someone finally has that other than me. I have a stutter at 3K but before it hits 3K in first it tries to die... is that what is going on? Is yours a Stick or Auto, With mine i have to float the clutch just to keep it from dying, untill that 3,000 RPM mark...

Last edited by IsisAngel2.3; October-4th-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old October-5th-2005, 01:53 PM

axela577 is on a distinguished road
my 3 has the same problem with me having to float the clutch. i have a cold air intake and have exhaust as well. i want to take out two of the three resignators to see if the additional outflow helps. but i used to have a mazda mx3 which had the same problem with first gear. there was no power with the car until you hit second then the car would go. my cousin had the same problem with his mx6 and had some weird problem with his mazdaspeed protoge. as far as i can tell mazdas just suck at take off. my intake helped and so did the exhaust but something is still missing. cant wait until headers, pulleys and cam gears come out. another thing you might want to try is getting a new ignition system and plugs. anyways if anyone else finds any more solutions please write.
Old October-6th-2005, 06:11 PM

94protolx is on a distinguished road
my 3 does it (man hatch) it seems like the it has the auto's ecu in it with the way it stumbles, no if i gas it slowly up to 5k or higher only when its floored, i dont however have this is my MSP
Old October-7th-2005, 12:41 AM
Mattys head scrumpet

Looks like we need to storm a mazda dealer.... They keep telling me it is normal operation...
Old October-16th-2005, 01:58 PM

marty is on a distinguished road
Is this problem specific to 2004 M3 models? I took a 2005 M3 Sport GT 2.3L engine manual shift for a test drive and there was no problem. My daughter's 2003 Protege with manual shift has no problem either. In rainy weather you have to let the clutch out gently or it will spin the wheels.
Regards.
Marty
Old October-17th-2005, 12:49 AM

capernicus is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Marty, Thanks for replying. Since you posted your response I can see its now narrowed down to the auto trans. In my opinion the car is capable of alot more horsepower and torque. But, the factory holds it back cause they dont want it to out do there RX-8. I also think that there has to be some kind of electronic programming that is holding the auto trans from spinning the tires. My girlfriend got a Nissan Altima 2.5L 4 Cylider and I can squeal her tires easy even in second gear! That car has 175 horses and with my intake and catback I get almost that in my M3. After this finding I have decided I wont buy another mazda. I need torque and speed from the line. It has good power throughout except the starting line! You would expect Mazda to let it open up from there since they Promote it as a "Zoom Zoom" car. I get off work late, about Midnight every night. When I leave the parking lot I dont have a problem finding someone wanting to race. Tonight I was in a race with a BMW 325i and a Cadillac LS. Dont know the years or anything but that. We ran all over town. It was really fun. The Caddy was fastest off the line. Then the Beemer but I got um all between 25 and 45 mph! I used the tap shift and it really makes a diffrence. They were shooked! I was too..LOL But that starting line made me look bad. Everyone peeled out but me
Old November-12th-2005, 12:32 AM

QBallz is on a distinguished road
I'm going to test drive some Mazda3's tomorrow, has anyone had this problem with the 2006's? I know they repaced the 4spd auto with a 5spd which may help with he issue. The Torque converter probably has a high stall speed which would cause crappy takeoffs.
Old November-14th-2005, 06:36 PM

axela577 is on a distinguished road
well it is not only the autos that have this problem because my 3 is a manual. it lags at first take off up until about 4500 rpms. but i do have a 2004 so maybe it is just something with the 2004s!?!? any ways i agree after owning 2 mazdas and neither of them having bottom end i most likely will not buy another.
Old November-14th-2005, 07:30 PM

lowrange is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same thing (2005 2.3 5spd)--it feels like a Festiva until it revs up, then its pretty decent. It does spin the tires quite nicely though......
Old November-15th-2005, 12:39 AM

Well I test drove the auto and the 5spd and my wife ended up deciding to get the 5spd (with the 2.3L). I don't have any of the problem's you guys are experiencing.

I imagine if you put in a lighter flywheel it would take care of the issue many of you are talking. I believe the stock one is 20+ lbs vs say a light weight 10 lbs one.
Old November-15th-2005, 08:00 AM
Mattys head scrumpet

Yes, As stated in my previous post, Mine is a Manual. I was told to put intake & exhaust on it and it should clear up. However, I am not voiding my warranty for an issue on a stock vehicle.!

Last edited by IsisAngel2.3; November-16th-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old November-15th-2005, 12:52 PM

I just went and looked and your right the Mazdaspeed on is Warrantly Level Orange for race use only. I'm pretty surprised at that considering it's still 14lbs which should be more than enough weight to not sacrifice streetability.

Plus if you read the warrenty information, it only voids the vehicle warrenty if used in a competitive event. And also if you read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, they would have to prove that the flywheel did the damage, which it pretty much IMPOSSIBLE unless someone installs it wrong.

Also just to add a bit of info. A catback exhaust will NEVER void your warrenty, but an intake could, because if the intake/filter isn't put on correctly it could suck crap and blow the engine.

Just a bit of FYI, still your car.
Old November-16th-2005, 08:58 AM
Mattys head scrumpet

Well after dealing with GM on 3 vehicles I am more than familiar with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. But this is not about a mod issue. This is an issue with these vehicles that should be fixed, not remedied by modding.
Old November-16th-2005, 09:09 AM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by capernicus
Tonight I was in a race with a BMW 325i and a Cadillac LS. Dont know the years or anything but that. We ran all over town. It was really fun. The Caddy was fastest off the line. Then the Beemer but I got um all between 25 and 45 mph! I used the tap shift and it really makes a diffrence. They were shooked! I was too..LOL But that starting line made me look bad. Everyone peeled out but me

wow.....i'm blown away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda 3 Acceleration Problem