3rd Gen Protege/MazdaSpeed/P5/MP3 General/Maintenance Discussion for 1999-2003.5 Models Only (BJ Chassis)

Will using the Sport shift in daily driving hurt my transmission ??

Old November-29th-2004, 08:56 PM
Spam Czar!!

KrayzieFox is on a distinguished road
Will using the Sport shift in daily driving hurt my transmission ??

Hi everyone, how's it goin?

I got a couple questions which I'm sure many people here will be able to answer fairly easily. First of all, I own a 03 MP5 with an automatic (sport shift) transmission. My first question would be about the transmission. Since the "sport shift" feature allows me to "shift" whenever I wanna know if that's ok for every day driving or is it hurting the transmission? Should I just leave it in good ol "D" and call it good, or is it alright to try and make the driving a little more fun. Second, I was wondering if dreams of a turbo would ever be possible with my setup, or is the auto transmission gonna make this pointless?

Last edited by macdaddyslomo; December-1st-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old November-30th-2004, 11:54 PM

Pro5ver is on a distinguished road
U can always use the shift mode if mazda thought it would cause prolblems then they wouldn't of put it in there. And u can put a turbo in an auto from like such kits from Hiboost wagnermotorsports i would also look into the W.O.M.P Supercharger being designed by Matty aka Rodimuisprime (sorry don't know how to spell it) but will see if the auto tranny will be able to handle it.
Old December-1st-2004, 08:30 AM
The man behind the mask

Roddimus Prime is on a distinguished road
I would just leave it in D the whole time. I've tried out the manual shift mode in my new 3S and while it somewhat feels like you have control over the shift it seems to take longer to engage the gear.

The fastest laps at Rev-It-Up were all done in automatic cars left in D with no left foot braking.

I think RISM will be the first automatic supercharged protege. You should keep an eye on his car to see what he thinks. I'm hoping to have his kit out to himin another month.
Old December-1st-2004, 01:36 PM
Moderator/ Pocket Tuner

macdaddyslomo is on a distinguished road
PLease make sure your title matches your question...I changed it this time...next time will result in thread deletion
Old December-1st-2004, 03:00 PM

Omron is on a distinguished road
Correct me if I am wrong, but even user shift of gears on a Automatic will not harm the car
so throwing the car into 2 or 1 on late model cars will not damage the transmission so long as you properly match the rev ranges.

I have been doing this for years with my old Corsica 1988 and on my mazda protege 2001 ES, even saving fuel by throwing the car in neutral on down hill slops, so long as your properly match the rev/speed. Even if you don't and your a dumby driver your ECU is smart enough to rev the RPM higher to match the gear. its not advised but the transmission will not shift if the speed is not correct, for example if you were driving at 80kmph and you throw the gear in to 2 or 1 , on a Manual tranny your looking at impending death for your engine and transmission but on a Auto, the ECU will not permit the shift until the speed has dropped below 60kmph.

hahah I would say go a head and do it for yourself, but ummm don't, but we have done it on our first transmission before we upgraded, and it works like a charm.

But the question is , hahah what would happen if you throw it in reverse hahahah now that I can't promise lol

anyways, hope this helps

But with the way the mazda protege transmission is, its actually very good and designed well, it will even give you a locked 2000 RPM accelleration from 0 - 70 kmph if you have your chip reprogramed or if you play with the pettle yourself but keeping it constant yourself thru throttle play

Last edited by Omron; December-1st-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old December-1st-2004, 07:05 PM

mgs_freak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Omron
But the question is , hahah what would happen if you throw it in reverse hahahah now that I can't promise lol
The car shuts off. I accidentally did it once. Was having a problem with rough idle, so I would put the car in neutral when coming to a stop or at a stop. Then put it in gear. Well, one of those times when I hadn't stopped, accidentally slid the shifter forward into "R" instead of backward into "D." The car shut off, lost my power steering, but luckily had reserve air in the break booster to stop the car and restart it. Fhew!
Old December-3rd-2004, 07:39 PM

fluke22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Omron
Correct me if I am wrong, but even user shift of gears on a Automatic will not harm the car
so throwing the car into 2 or 1 on late model cars will not damage the transmission so long as you properly match the rev ranges.

I did this for a while in my '85 300zx. It made it more fun to drive.... until the trans started slipping. I don't know if the "manual" shifting was to blame or not because the car had about 140K on the odo at the time. When it finally crapped out, we swapped it with a 5-speed manual -MUCH more fun to drive.