Brake pad life (Hawk and EBC)

Old December-10th-2002, 09:48 PM
Protege Enthusiast

browntrout is on a distinguished road
Brake pad life (Hawk and EBC)

I'm about to replace the front brake pads on my 2000 LX Touring (Canadian ES). They are down to about 15% left. Anyways, I've got alot of quotes and prices for Hawk HPS and EBC Green. I was wondering how long they last compared to OEM pads. The Hawk pads are only 44 bucks a set at raceshopper.com. I'm assuming by set he means all 4 front pads. Anyways, the OEM pads from Mazda are 120$ CDN at the dealer so even with the conversion, the Hawk pads are only about 65$ CDN. Pretty good deal even with shipping and handling. I just want to make sure that the pads don't wear out after 15000 kms or something. BTW, the EBC's are almost twice the price as the Hawks, they are 79$ at Tire rack.

The stock pads lasted for about 53000 kms. I guess I have about 2 or 3000 kms left, they are starting to sqeak. Anyways, so for people that have used these pads, what is your experience with how long they last. I looked through previous topics and they just discuss them from a performance standpoint.
Old December-10th-2002, 10:49 PM

carguycw is on a distinguished road
I can't comment on the pad life, but I GUARANTEE you that the $44 price is only for the front OR rear pads, not both. I have NEVER seen brake pads sold in 4-wheel sets. Besides, $44 for 4 pads would be too cheap for good pads.
Old December-10th-2002, 11:05 PM
Protege Newbie

bbarbulo is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by carguycw
I can't comment on the pad life, but I GUARANTEE you that the $44 price is only for the front OR rear pads, not both. I have NEVER seen brake pads sold in 4-wheel sets. Besides, $44 for 4 pads would be too cheap for good pads.
I think he meant 4 as in inner/outer left, inner/outer right. Not Front and Back. EBC Green has won many awards for street performance. I think they will outlast either Hawk or OEM by a long shot, all while offering wicked stopping capabilities. Hawk are great race pads, but I can't speak for their longevity.
Old December-10th-2002, 11:41 PM
Use this to install stuff

Installshield is on a distinguished road
yeah EBC's are great. Dustless too!! though you still get wierd residue on the wheels, but nothing like stock pads. My friend has someon a Vovlo 850 and they have lasted well over 20,000 miles with lots of heavy braking. he is still using them and I havn't heard on how worn they are, but no squeeks or anything yet.
Old December-12th-2002, 05:58 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Jas00x is on a distinguished road
I use the Hawk HP+ pads on my Protege. I have over 25K miles (and one full year of autocross racing) on them and they are in good shape. They work very well.
They do cause more wear to the rotors (probably have to have your rotors turned or replaced before you will need new pads). they are kind of squeaky. And they are dusty.

They have a less aggressive compound available called HPS

I would probably buy them again. Rotors are cheap from Mazdamotorsports
Old December-12th-2002, 07:10 PM
Protege Enthusiast

Davard is on a distinguished road
I have Hawk HPS on the front of my '90 LX. About a year and a half of autocrossing and 15000 miles with very little wear on either the pads or rotors. They do leave black dust when used heavily, but no worse than the stock pads. They work well cold or very hot, modulate well, and make no noise.

A friend with EBC Greenstuffs on his Sentra SE-R liked them, but only got one season (and 20k miles) out of them before they were shot.

YMMV , as I got about 100k out of the stock pads (although 300 miles of racing at Buttonwillow toasted my MetalMasters...now Axis, IIRC).
Old December-12th-2002, 10:49 PM
walight01

ok i have a p5 and my stock pads have lasted 60k miles so far and still have alot of life in them and they don't give any dust off. do the make the ebc or hawk for my car and are they worth getting. factory pads are 60 for front and 40 for rear

Old December-27th-2002, 08:27 PM

nightowl is on a distinguished road
well i have a 2002 P5 with 34 000+km and aperently according to my dealer my rear pads are down to 35%..........
Old December-28th-2002, 01:57 AM
Protege Enthusiast

Davard is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nightowl
well i have a 2002 P5 with 34 000+km and aperently according to my dealer my rear pads are down to 35%..........
HUGE oxymoron--honest dealer.

My rear brakes needed to be "replaced" at 30k miles, according to the dealer. I eventually replaced them 120k later.
Old December-29th-2002, 02:56 AM
Protege Newbie

Torque is on a distinguished road
-EBC very nice street pads.
if you are going to track, EBC cracks...

-hawk HP+chews rotor, dust and makes lots noises.
gives better breaking than stock.