1st gen/323/GLC Engine and Drivetrain Engine/Drivetrain Modification Discussions for 1990-1994 Models (BG chassis) and 1981-1989 GLC/323 Models (BD and BF chassis)

Bad Front axle Symptoms?

Old September-14th-2002, 05:00 PM

Finprof is on a distinguished road
Bad Front axle Symptoms?

Since a couple of people have changed front axles, I was wondering what the symptoms are.

I have 158,000 miles on a 91 DX. Under accerleration at higher spped - e.g. 60 mph or so there is a shaking in the car like the wheeles aren't round. There is no problem with the engine, so I am thinking front axles. It is worse going up a hill. Cruising at 35 or 40, you can't tell anything is wrong. Also, acceleration from a stop is fine until you get going quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Old September-14th-2002, 05:28 PM
Tree huggin Hippie!!!!!

irish6714 is on a distinguished road
Maybe a wheel bearing going bad.
Old September-15th-2002, 03:13 AM

Maz94Protege is on a distinguished road
ive seen some start to shake the car as they accelerate above 50mph, as if its outta alignment. This also can be caused by the axle being bad. if in doubt. Jus replace em. they are $69.99 a piece after the core charge at Pepboys and Autozone.
Old September-16th-2002, 08:42 AM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Alignment??

I'm sure what Maz94Protege meant was 'wheel alignment'. I had the same symptoms on my Toyota that runs 17 inchers. It was tires that had gone out of balance.
If your cv's are going out, it'll be indicated by clicking noises as the car goes around corners. Check for ripped boots also.
Old September-19th-2002, 10:15 AM
Protege Enthusiast

suprastylin23 is on a distinguished road
okay well whut if you hear more of a pulsating noise when you turn to the right, not so much a clicking. plus my boots arent torn. and it goes away when i lean the car the other way. those are just my symptoms though.
Old September-19th-2002, 07:01 PM

Bill is on a distinguished road
Pulsating noise

A pulsating noise, especially when the brakes are being applied, usually means that the rotors are warped. Also check to see if you have a bearing going out. Here's how we check for that at the shop I work at:
1) Jack up car on one side, just enough to get ONE wheel in the air.
2) Start car, put in 1st or 2nd gear and gently accelerate, listen for unusual noises, like loud grinding that you should be able to feel also. Make sure you've got one foot on the brake, just in case the car hops off the jack or something else happens.
3) Stop engine, let car down and check the other side in the same way. If you have a bearing problem, one wheel will sound alot different than the other.

As far as the clicking sound that is indicative of dicked up cv's, it sound kind of like tapping a ratchet on concrete, you might even feel it too.